AdamSmith

How Europeans vs. Americans think about teen sex

Photo essay comparing European with U.S. attitudes toward teen sex, as depicted in ad campaigns:

http://www.slate.com/id/2272631/

"In both Europe and America, the age at which most people start having sex is 17. But that's where similarities about teen sexuality begin and end. Teen pregnancy rates in the United States are three to six times higher than in Western European countries. This means that one out of every three American teenage girls becomes pregnant at least once before she reaches the age of 20. (Even poor countries like Algeria, Sri Lanka, China, and Estonia have lower teen birth rates than we do.) The gap between Europe and the United States for sexually transmitted diseases is even greater—gonorrhea and chlamydia rates are 20 to 30 times higher here than in the Netherlands, for example.

"What explains these hugely varying outcomes? At the heart of the answer lies a contrast in attitudes toward teen sexuality. This is clear from research about how families talk about sex. And it's also clear from advertising campaigns. The caption for this light-hearted German ad reads "Prevents Shortsightedness." Can you imagine an ad like it in the United States?"

... Etc. Click on through.

• Members

This post baffles me. My opinion is that teens of both continents think about sex all the time. ^_^

I also think that almost none of them think about pregnancy, which they should, very often.

With the statistics you quote I have to think that the Eurpoeans either have better "sex education" which in this case means contraceptive education and, most importantly, follow the included advice.

That also would include STD's which are not to be triffled with as opposed to one's "conquests". Sorry, it isn't really funny but then we have to do the best we can when faced with negative situations, don't we? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

I think it is all due to a hysterical, puritanical attitude towards sex by the majority of up-tight Americans. Sex is still considered to be "dirty" as opposed to natural.

Some evidence of this is the scarcity of public nude beaches in the USA and the reluctance of most straight men to wear Speedos. They actually think those baggy swim suits look sexy. I think they make them look like they just shit their pants. :frantics: