TotallyOz

Other English Speaking Guys to Speak to when you Travel

I have been in Thailand a great deal this year and I think one of the reasons I really like it is that I have lots of American friends here. While that is not the main reason I am here, it is nice.

When I travel to Brazil, I am often alone and don't know that many people and find that I hang out more with Brazilians than anyone.

In thinking of a place to retire to and how I would like to live my life, I have decided that one criteria for a new place will be the availability of like minded American's to chat with.

For those that plan to retire abroad, is this a major consideration for you or have you given it much thought?

Several of you have been to Columbia, did you see an expat community there? What about in Prague?

• Members

What's wrong with Thailand? You know the place and you like the people, plus there are tons of expats.

I know the desire to speak English once in a while- that's one reason I like to meet up with other travelers when I am in a foreign country. I don't think I could retire anywhere outside the US of A.

Well, I really fell in love with Porto Alegre when I was there. I also think I could make it a go. But, the easy thing about Thailand and Pattaya especially is the vast amount of foreigners. I have friends I meet for Lunch and Dinner almost every night. It is easy to find good conversation and it is nice to be in a place that you can speak English and get by with it.

I am not sure that is going to be possible in Porto Alegre.

The other places I have considered are Barcelona and Prague. At one time I considered Amsterdam but when I visited Hooboy there, I loved the city but it was COLD. I am not sure I could move back to a place that was cold again. Thus, the only reason NYC is out.

Guest zipperzone

Well, I really fell in love with Porto Alegre when I was there. I also think I could make it a go. But, the easy thing about Thailand and Pattaya especially is the vast amount of foreigners. I have friends I meet for Lunch and Dinner almost every night. It is easy to find good conversation and it is nice to be in a place that you can speak English and get by with it.

I am not sure that is going to be possible in Porto Alegre.

The other places I have considered are Barcelona and Prague. At one time I considered Amsterdam but when I visited Hooboy there, I loved the city but it was COLD. I am not sure I could move back to a place that was cold again. Thus, the only reason NYC is out.

If you think Amsterdam is cold - I just wanna tell you, Prague isn't exactly near the equator.

Guest CharliePS

I have lived in a country where I didn't speak the language, and I can tell you that it can be pretty tiring. Also, having lived in the Czech Republic, I can assure you that a Prague winter is as unpleasant as one in New York.

If you think Amsterdam is cold - I just wanna tell you, Prague isn't exactly near the equator.

I have lived in a country where I didn't speak the language, and I can tell you that it can be pretty tiring. Also, having lived in the Czech Republic, I can assure you that a Prague winter is as unpleasant as one in New York.

Thanks guys. I guess I was hoping to find a Bel Ami guy as my blanket. It makes winter go by soooo fast! ;):brr: :brr: :brr: :brr: :brr: :brr:

• Members

Prompted by the previous article on places to retire, I have given this some thought lately. I concluded that it would be difficult to immerse myself into a foregin culture on a long term basis. Having plenty of English speakers would ease that some, and expats even more. Nevertheless, it would be a big adjustment. Travel up to several weeks to exotic locales would be much less of an issue.

Guest epigonos

I realize that a number of guys on this site are going to blanch when they hear this but you might want to consider Puerto Vallarta. I am aware that Mexico has a terrible reputation, right now, because of cartel violence but that violence SELDOM intrudes into the lives of expats living in the nicer parts of many cities and towns. Puerto Vallarta has a large number of both straight and gay Canadian and Americans living happily there. I spend a lot of time in P.V. and have never felt unsafe or threatened. P.V. is the most laid back of all Mexican cities and resorts when it comes to accepting and appreciating the gay life style. The Zona Romantica (Old Town) has numerous condo buildings with a preponderance of gay owner/residents. There is an active gay night life as well as beach scene. If I were younger I would definitely consider seriously the move.

I realize that a number of guys on this site are going to blanch when they hear this but you might want to consider Puerto Vallarta. There is an active gay night life as well as beach scene. If I were younger I would definitely consider seriously the move.

Thank you. I'll put that into consideration. I have not yet decided if I'll find a place year round or every 6 weeks in USA and 6 weeks out. But, PV is very close to family and would make things easy.

I can second what epigonos says about Puerto Vallarta. Even the Mexicans there speak English!

That is a big plus IMHO.

I've heard the same good things from a friend who retired there a year ago.

PV would definitely make my short list.

Sexy+Mexican+hunk+model+Raymond+Martinez+pictures+_3_.jpg

HOLY COW BATMAT!

I think I could propose to him and just look at him all day.

Guest jsvan44

Thank you. I'll put that into consideration. I have not yet decided if I'll find a place year round or every 6 weeks in USA and 6 weeks out. But, PV is very close to family and would make things easy.

That is a big plus IMHO.

HOLY COW BATMAT!

I think I could propose to him and just look at him all day.

That is Mexican model Alan Valdez from Miami. He often dances at Boardwalk in Ft Lauderdale. He is straight but does a nice lapdance and is a very nice guy.

Guest FourAces

It would be very difficult for me to live in a Country that I was not fluent in the language. I think as hard as I would try to fit in I always would feel like an outsider. Even considering a country like Thailand where there are many expats it would be difficult for me to live there full time.

I also believe that when I do retire it will be in the states, most likely down the street from Lucky j/k. Actually I really don't seeing myself moving permanently outside of Texas except for a remote possibility of back to my home town.

I guess I would prefer to visit places like Thailand, Brazil, and several European countries ... spend several weeks there but return to my comfortable stateside home afterward.