TampaYankee

The 10 Worst States for Retirees

• Members

Due to copyright restrictions see full article at:

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/111588/the-10-worst-states-for-retirees?mod=fidelity-readytoretire&cat=fidelity_2010_getting_ready_to_retire

Who knew Illinois would top the list. I feel sorry for all of you California Dreamers who come in second. :console: Not surprised though as I think of California as the Land of Taxes, as I do of NY too which came in third. Rhode Island was a bit of a suprise as was Nevada which has no imcome tax.

Being a native born Floridian, I have always considered that state to be the Retiree's paradise, except for the 3Hs... heat, humidity, and hurricanes. :shocked: The first two drove me away years ago. The same heat in Texas and Arizona also repels me, as does their income taxes.

Guest CharliePS

I am pleasantly surprised to find that Texas and Wyoming have no income tax.

For the truly tax-averse, the ideal is to live on the Washington side of the Columbia River (WA has no income tax) and shop on the Oregon side of the river (OR has no sales tax).

• Members

Ever since I experienced different parts of the continent I have felt there is no single ideal place for me to live.

I love summers in the Northwest -- either Seattle or Vancouver would be nice with the nod going to Vancouver. Taxes are high in Canada and I wouldn't have access to their Health Care so those are a nod to income-tax-free Seattle. I also like Montreal summers -- a little hotter but it has much to recommend it, not the least of which is the Village and its inhabitants. If I was fluent in French then that might put a lock on it.

I would winter in Florida. No income tax there. Great beaches and winter climate. I think FTL would make a nice winter home, maybe Cocoa Beach if not too quiet. If money were no object Miami would have lots of temptations.