TotallyOz

Atlanta Eagle’s $1 million settlement stands in sharp contrast to Rainbow Lounge outcome

The Atlanta City Council has voted 14-0 to award the Atlanta Eagle Bar $1 million in response to a federal lawsuit filed by a private attorney on behalf of 19 clients unjustly arrested in a botched police raid last September, according to a report by WTVM News 9 and the Associated Press.

The night of Sept. 10, 2009, four dozen police crashed the Underwear Night special event at the Atlanta Eagle, slamming patrons to the floor, using homophobic slurs, and arresting and detaining 62 people. Police targeted the gay bar on the pretext of illicit sex and drugs, allegations that were never proven.

The owner of the Eagle, Richard Ramey, went immediately on the offensive against the raid, saying to The Atlanta Journal Constitution on Sept. 12, 2009, ”Our problem is with the way our customers were treated.”

Nick Koperski, a bar patron present at the time of the raid, said in the same article: “I’m thinking, this is Stonewall. It’s like I stepped into the wrong decade.”

The Atlanta Police Department refused to cooperate with an investigation by the Atlanta Citizens Council. Charges brought against employees and patrons either failed to win convictions, collapsed for lack of evidence, or were otherwise dismissed, according to a report by EDGE.

Last March eight employees of the bar were found not guilty of trumped up charges by the Atlanta Police Department in a ruling handed down in Municipal Court.

Investigations into the raid found that the Atlanta Police Department did not have a warrant to raid the bar on the night in question. Mandatory revisions to police procedures will be carried out in response to the settlement.

The vindication of the Atlanta Eagle stands in sharp contrast to the outcome of the Fort Worth Police Department’s infamous raid on the Rainbow Lounge just months before the Atlanta debacle. Like the Georgia raid, all charges against patrons arrested at the popular Fort Worth gay bar have been dropped without comment from the city.

for the full story:

http://www.dallasvoice.com/justice-prevails-atlanta-eagle-raid-rainbow-lounge-1055292.html

• Members

How can people be so ignorant in 2011?

Where the fuck have you been? Oh, yeah, France. I guess that explains how you can ask the question.

I don't know 'how they can be' but it has been plain ever since the last presidential election season that the amount of ignorance and willingness to embrace erroneous information is legion in this country. What's worse, many of those willingly misled seem proud to wallow in their stupor of stupidity. Our national level of intellectual capaciity is in steady, serious decline. :shocked:

I actually remember when there were many intellectually acute conservative leaders. A few remain but they have to watch their profile lest they be tarred and feathered by the rank and file and cable pundits. To be fair, there are some liberal dullards as well, but many fewer and generally less toxic these days, IMO.

• Members

It was actually a fairly far reaching decision in Federal Court. The Mayor even apologized and I belive the Police Chief ended up leaving over the raid.

Note lastest Atlanta Journal article (there have been several over the past few days):

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta-could-have-settled-771480.html

This is some serious shit. I hope someone presses for a Federal Civil Rights investigation of the APD actions. Engaging in harassment, abuse and false arrest under the color of law strikes me as a hate crime that ought to be investigated at the least.

• Members

Here's an update on the Eagle Bar raid. I am glad that the city is not letting this go and seem determined to get to the bottom of the conduct of their police department:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/review-board-admonishes-top-810272.html

Thanks for the follow up on this. ATL is to be commended for following through on their part too rather than sweeping the episode under the carpet.

• Members

Lastest on the 2009 Eagle Bar raid in Atlanta. 6 Atlanta Police Officers got fired Friday.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/6-atlanta-officers-fired-1006281.html

I really appreciate your effort to keep us up to date on this story.

It's good to see that the APD terminated those and other officers in connection with this incident.

I'm disappointed that there is no word on discipline of the top APD officers connected with this incident. In addtion to Constitutional Rights retraining I would like to see all reduced at least one grade if not two as clearly none of them were fit to hold their posts based on their supervision of the officers in this incident and the atmosphere permeating the Department that would foster such harassment activities.