Lucky

3D TV

• Members

When I first heard of this, I thought it seemed a silly invention. Isn't 3-D only for the movies?

Well, today I got to try it at Costco and my mind changed. It's pretty cool. I think once you get used to it it might not be so cool, and then there is the question of which shows would benefit from it, but then...

BTW- The TV brand that seems to be the one most returned is the Vizio brand. Every time I go to Costco someone is returning one.

• Members

I like the Panasonic 3D TVs. (Wouldn't buy a Vizio, but they ARE cheap and Costco's return policy is pretty generous.) I believe there are a couple games on the PlayStation that support 3D, and plenty of 3D movies on Blu-ray (though for now you can ONLY get Avatar in 3D if you buy Panasonic!).

BUT, for TV shows, don't hold your breath. There's no broadcast standard for 3D and given how stupid the HD broadcast standard was I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are several 'demonstration' channels (think early days of HD), but their availability is limited and they are tied to cable/satelite providers. I don't see those stations getting major network shows... *Maybe* the one on Comcast getting a couple specially done 3D episodes of NBC shows--at best. A 3D sports network or two are pretty likely (might be one already but expect to pay for it as a premium channel), but otherwise I'd expect pay-per view and maybe a movie channel or two. Maybe eventually a network or cable network might get interested (HBO would be great) but it's likely a long way off.

I like the Panasonic 3D TVs.

Panasonic does seem the way to go. More and more movies are made into 3D and they will be offering them on DVD's and kids love them. 3D TV's are going to be around for a long time to come.

Has anyone played with the Microsoft game gadget that moves to your body? I did the other day and it was pretty fucking cool. It was like a Wii but with your body and no remote.