Guest FourAces

Goodbye Time Warner

Guest FourAces

Cable company profits have been dropping as more people are opting for alternatives and personally I am a big fan of alternatives in this area. I feel cable companies have been raping us for years price-wise and lack of customer service. Kind of ma-bell before the break up. Its nice to have options ^_^

I finally did it. I canceled my cable service. I know watch most everything online or on my HDTV via my computer with the HDMI out source. Basically I'm saving $120. x month plus the frustration dealing with the cable fuck up once a month or so.

Now I should mention I do not normally watch much TV. Aside from football, news and a handful of shows its rare I would even turn my TV on. But if you live with your TV on then saying goodbye probably is not going to be right for you.

Has anybody else been thinking of jumping off the cable platform?

Guest zipperzone

If enough people jump ship it might actually help the others price-wise. If they don't have the same client base they might reduce their rates to entice people to stay. Am I dreaming?

As long as you have the Internet and the ability to go to www.eztv.it there is no reason at all to have cable.

All my friends use eztv.it You can get anything there only an hour after it airs. But, for those of us that travel into the USA, it is not a good idea as computers are often checked. I only use Itunes to download content.

You can always just delete the shows after you watch them.

Mine never stay on my computer. My television box has a USB port. So, I download the shows straight to a flash drive and then plug that in to play them.

Therefore the shows never touch my hard drive at all - and if you stick a flash drive in your checked luggage the odds of people checking it are slim to none.

• Members

All my friends use eztv.it You can get anything there only an hour after it airs. But, for those of us that travel into the USA, it is not a good idea as computers are often checked. I only use Itunes to download content.

I use EZTV.it all the time. Has anybody ever had problems with dowloads of TV shows getting them a cease-and-desist (or worse)? Why would customs have a problem with TV shows on a hard drive? They wouldn't if it were Media-Center recordings... Having downloads of stuff that's been broadcast or cablecast (especially if you do pay for cable) is the same as having a video tape of it. (In my mind at least it is) clearly 'fair use' copyright-wise and doesn't fall under DMCA because it can be recorded unencrypted.

Now having stuff before it airs, PPV, or from stations you don't pay for (HBO) may be a bit dicier, but is CUSTOMS really going to go through each TV show on your hard drive and debate it with you?? Half my stuff is from the BBC, is US Customs really going to have a problem with that?

I keep thinking about dropping cable, but I do still watch some and also need them for Internet. I'm only paying $100/mo with fast Internet though.