BiBottomBoy

Aliens

• Members

Not unless these dragons have to be viewed under a microscope. It is interesting that we have had the opinion that all life had a few elements in common but none of them were arsenic.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

So, what do you think about NASA discovering a new arsenic rather than carbon based life form?

Close but no cigar. :console: The critter has the ability to substitute arsenic for phosphorus, rather like your own body can substitute strontium for calcium. That it can do this even in its DNA molecules is what has given the biology types conniption fits. DNA was thought to be a no go zone for substitutes.

Now a non carbon based life form would be truly alien. I recall there was some speculation several decades back that, under high temperatures and pressures, silicon could perform the role carbon does on Earth. Under those conditions fluorine fills in for oxygen, if I remember right. For the life of me, I can't fill in the blank for what was proposed to fulfill the function of H2O.

Guest NeedSome

Close but no cigar. :console: The critter has the ability to substitute arsenic for phosphorus, rather like your own body can substitute strontium for calcium. That it can do this even in its DNA molecules is what has given the biology types conniption fits. DNA was thought to be a no go zone for substitutes.

Now a non carbon based life form would be truly alien. I recall there was some speculation several decades back that, under high temperatures and pressures, silicon could perform the role carbon does on Earth. Under those conditions fluorine fills in for oxygen, if I remember right. For the life of me, I can't fill in the blank for what was proposed to fulfill the function of H2O.

Ms Guy, you're pretty hot when you talk all smarty like that!

• Members

Ms Guy, you're pretty hot when you talk all smarty like that!

If I could somehow recoup all the hours I've squandered reading science fiction, I'd have a decade or so extra to chase cute male carbon based life forms. :P

Oh well, what's done is done. :( Talk about youth being wasted on the young! I didn't have a clue as to what was important.

----

Edit: Just ran across this interesting article in the NYTimes on the discovery.

P.S. I liked your cartoon, JKane.