TotallyOz

Russia, Qatar win race to host World Cups as FIFA spreads its vision

I was a bit surprised by the FIFA's decision on the next 2 hosts after Brazil for the World Cup. This is the most prestigious event in Sports. Congrats to Russia and Qatar.

From CNN:

Russia and Qatar will host soccer's biggest tournament, the FIFA World Cup, for the first time in 2018 and 2022 respectively.

Russia headed off 1966 host England and joint presentations from Spain-Portugal and Holland-Belgium in Thursday's vote at FIFA headquarters in Switzerland.

Qatar won the right to host the 2022 tournament ahead of bids from the United States, South Korea, Japan and Australia.

Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin decided against attending the ceremony in Zurich, but his deputy Igor Shuvalov was present to accept the first successful bid from Eastern Europe.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/12/02/football.world.cup.2018.2022/index.html?hpt=T2

I can imagine that the games in Qatar will be some of the grandest settings one has ever seen and the whole country only has 1.4 million people.

From the articles read online, they poured cash into this and are going to build technology that will ensure the games also produce technology that will aid and assist 3rd world countries. It looks like our dependence on their oil payed off for them. ^_^ As we transition to electric vehicles and more cars have higher MPG, it is the countries like Qatar and UAE that will be ready for the next generation.

I was really hoping the USA would get the games but I should have known that would not happen.

I do find it interesting Russia promised to make Visas easy for those attending the games. Has the USA ever considered that its immigration policies are going to make us even less desirable for events like this? Hell, people can't even pass from Europe to Mexico and go through USA without a visa. What a crock of shit. All International Airports in the USA should be able to be used as transit for people going other places. It is very easy to implement and I have never understood why something so simple is so hard to get done.