Lucky

December 1st

• Members

Today is World Aids Day, not that you would know it from this or the other popular gay message board. It's noon in New York and no one has mentioned it here. So let's take a moment to remember those of our community whose lives were taken by this disease. Even the Wall Street Journal is posting a series of 15 pictures about it about it, take a look:

OB-LC745_1201ai_E_20101130214059.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/home-page

• Members

Even I, who lives in a backwards and very conservative US state, have been aware that this is World AIDS Day. My "local" sources have mentioned that there are 30 million folks infected world wide and that much needs to be done about it. They also mentioned that the local GLCC will offer free HIV testing today with a 20 minute result.

So, if your lament is that many "gay" organizations or gay publications are not going full speed ahead, I have to agree, but, I don't necessarily follow their activities or public outcries anymore than I do the "national" news. However, the "straight" news in a very conservative area of the country seems to be carrying more than absolutely required, whatever that means.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest StevenDraker

I made a reference to the World's AIDS Day indirectly in my Mile-High Club thread. I noticed in the past that each time "December 1st" or "World AIDS Day" was mentioned posters seem to skip that thread. Let's see if things have changed.

The message I'd like to deliver this year is: KNOW YOUR STATUS !

red%2Bribbon%2Bnorth%2Bportico.jpg

82229119.jpg

• Members

Today is World Aids Day, not that you would know it from this or the other popular gay message board. It's noon in New York and no one has mentioned it here. So let's take a moment to remember those of our community whose lives were taken by this disease. Even the Wall Street Journal is posting a series of 15 pictures about it about it, take a look:

OB-LC745_1201ai_E_20101130214059.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/home-page

To me it seemed it was only slightly noted in passing by most media compared with a lot of interest it seemed to get in many past years. I feel many just look at AIDS here in the USA as a disease that is manageable almost like someone with asthma. We are big to note that just because a person is HIV positive does not mean they have AIDS. We don't see the big number of deaths anymore like we use to that scared the gay community so bad (for which I am very thankful) and sadly many younger gay men I know seem to think, and I quote one I know "no big deal". A friend of mine that tested positive when he visited the doctor was told "nothing to worry about, with today's meds you'll die of a heart attack before you die of AIDS." I had dinner a few months back with 4 friends, all gay and younger than me. One mentioned that he had just returned from a funeral of a friend of his that had died of AIDS. Someone then said I didn't think anyone died from that anymore. My friend answered "he didn't take is meds like he was supposed to".

I'm not sure what to think of this new attitute, of course I've known people that died of AIDS.