TampaYankee

The World's Top Retirement Havens For 2011

• Members

The World's Top Retirement Havens For 2011

by Kathleen Peddicord

Monday, November 22, 2010

Provided by 97.jpg

As we move toward the start of the new year, it's time to take a look at the world map to identify the world's top retirement havens for 2011. Depending on the size of your retirement budget, here's where you should be looking to realize the adventure-filled retirement of your dreams.

Super Affordable

1. Nicaragua -- specifically Leon, Granada, and San Juan del Sur. Nicaragua is more attractive than ever for one important reason: It's a super cheap place to live. I've been a fan of this misunderstood country since my first visit nearly 20 years ago. Property values, especially for beachfront property along the Pacific, reached bubble status last decade. Today prices are more realistic and more negotiable. In the meantime, the cost-of-living has remained seriously low. And last year Nicaragua inaugurated a new and improved foreign retiree residency program. For all these reasons, 2011 is the time to put this country at the top of your super-cheap overseas retirement list.

2. Ecuador -- specifically Cuenca. Ecuador is well established as an affordable retirement choice. A friend calls it, "the cheapest place in the world where you'd want to live". This expat-friendly country also has a pleasant climate.

3. Colombia -- specifically Medellin. This moderately priced country is cultured and sophisticated. To live an expat-standard lifestyle in Colombia, I think you would need to spend more than you would in Nicaragua or Ecuador. Real estate, on the other hand, especially in certain areas of this country, can be a screaming bargain.

4. Thailand -- specifically Chiang Mai. This exotic and adventure-filled country can be, in parts, extraordinarily affordable and even peaceful.

Moderately Priced

1. Panama -- specifically Las Tablas, Boquete, and Panama City. Panama City has the best infrastructure in all of Central America, but it no longer qualifies as super-cheap. Other places in the country can be affordable. But the cost-of-living and of real estate in the capital and other more developed parts of the country has risen to the point where I wouldn't include Panama on our list of bargain havens.

2. Uruguay -- specifically Montevideo. Uruguay is safe and stable with a good standard of living.

3. Argentina -- specifically Buenos Aires and Mendoza. This is another country that used to qualify as super-cheap but has grown steadily more expensive. Still, Argentina has much to offer in the way of lifestyle.

4. Belize -- specifically Ambergris Caye and the Cayo. Ambergris Caye has white sand and the best diving in the Caribbean. This area isn't absolutely cheap, but it can be relatively affordable compared with the cost-of-living and of owning beachfront real estate on other Caribbean islands. Elsewhere in Belize can be far more affordable than Ambergris. The Cayo, for example, is a beautiful frontier where you can escape from the real world and create your own future. It's also an English-speaking country.

5. Malaysia -- specifically Kuala Lumpur and Penang. This is the most user-friendly and expat-friendly choice in Asia. Malaysia is the only country in this part of the world that makes it relatively easy for a foreigner to establish legal full-time residency.

Luxury on a Budget

1. Mexico -- specifically Puerto Vallarta. My recently-rediscovered top pick for living the good life on a reasonable budget is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. This is a fully turn-key overseas retirement option that, unlike Ajijic and Chapala, has managed to retain its Mexico-ness. This charming town boasts great restaurants and nightlife. The beaches, marinas, and golf courses are beautiful. This is my top 2011 choice for a five-star retirement at the beach on a three-star budget.

2. France -- specifically Paris and Languedoc. France is a country of superlatives and one of the best places on earth to live well. Paris has the world's best luxury lifestyle options while Languedoc offers quintessential French country living.

Get started now, and you could be living the good life in your new home overseas by this time next year.

See original article at:

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/111327/top-retirement-havens-in-the-world-2011?mod=fidelity-livingretirement

• Members

Interesting that Colombia is listed, especially Medillin.

I wonder what the m4m scene is like in Uruguay. Never heard anything about it.

Not surprised at Thailand althouh Chang Mai seems a bit removed for my taste, but then I have never been there. So what do I know?

Interesting that Malayasian is so expat friendly. Never hear anything about the m4m scene there either.

Nothing could attract me to Mexico in these times. Nothing! I'm not into dying in luxury or kidnappings or just living in a high stress environment. Too many other options.

• Members

I have been told by folks who should know that Columbia is like most of SA in that one should not get in the way of any political uprisings and that one is as perfectly safe in Medillin as anywhere. Their attitude seems to be, one el presidente is as good as another, so don't get shot because you "interferred" the the "process".

Interesting list. Wish I had the time to check each and every one out. Even if one has traveled to these places before, unless one is specifically looking at things as to value,etc. for retirement or semi-permanent residence, one might not notice how well suited any particular place might be.

Thanks for the post.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

Two questions to ponder:

1: Would you place your money in any of these countries?

2: Do you think buying real estate (such as your home) would be a wise investment?

Two questions to ponder:

1: Would you place your money in any of these countries?

2: Do you think buying real estate (such as your home) would be a wise investment?

I would have no problem putting money into France. I would also trust Brazil and Columbia. I am not sure about some others.

The current gay population of Paris is roughly five to eight percent.

In the last local census the gay population of Montpellier was closer to 30 percent.

Imagine if the Castro was the size of a small city.

Hell last night I was in a straight bar and it was a cold night so not many people were out. In this straight bar there were nine people other than the bar staff - five gay males, two lesbian women and one straight couple.

Guest NeedSome

I wonder what the m4m scene is like in Uruguay. Never heard anything about it.

One of the most memorable fucks of my life was on a horse farm north of Montevideo. That was about 20 years ago and I still remember it. In fact, I think I may need some alone time with my memories now...

• Members

[3. Colombia -- specifically Medellin. This moderately priced country is cultured and sophisticated. To live an expat-standard lifestyle in Colombia, I think you would need to spend more than you would in Nicaragua or Ecuador. Real estate, on the other hand, especially in certain areas of this country, can be a screaming bargain.

See original article at:

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/111327/top-retirement-havens-in-the-world-2011?mod=fidelity-livingretirement

I had the pleasure to visit Colombia 5 times in 2007 and early 2008. Medellin specifically each time and some of the smaller country area's within a couple of hours drive from Medellin. It is a truly beautiful country but could not see it as a great retirement area. The people seemed very friendly but they can spot a "gringo" a mile away and immediately think that they have money and are an easy target. I was called "Mr Gringo" so many times I was beginning to think it was my real name. ;) I always was there visiting friends and stayed at a Sheraton Hotel connected to a shopping mall. The mall was the only place I would venture without my friends and there were many area's of the city they knew to stay away from.

Some items of note about my visits to Colombia that stick out in my head.

Even though walking off the plane each time,we were immediately met by Police in military uniforms carrying machine guns and with a German Shepard dog,Customs entering the country were very friendly and welcoming. Some spoke English some did not. The drive down the mountain from the airport at night into the city was beautiful.

You need to know Spanish even in the American Branded Hotels.

Every ATM machine I saw or visited had an armed guard at it, even in the good parts of the city.

Here in the USA the police carry side arms, there they carry machine guns. Even had my friends take my picture poising between two of them with their guns. They (the police) thought the Gringo was funny and smiled big.

Police roadblocks are very common and we actually got stopped and interviewed 3 times on my first trip there. Each time I showed a copy of my American passport and the police were very nice to me, stepped me off to the side and did not even try to question me as they interviewed my friends.

My favorite place in the city at night was a place called Lleras Park. It is a small block park surrounded by many good restaurants, small open air bars and a Juan Valdez Coffee cafe(Like a starbucks). We generally ate at the park area each night. One evening as we were walking around after eating with my friend and 3 of his friends a fight broke out between 2 gangs of males right in front of us. My friends immediately surrounded me, grabbed me under my arms, lifted me and literally carried me very fast 1/2 a block away protecting me. After things calmed down we returned and continued as if nothing had happened.

Security at the parking garage for the big upscale mall in Medellin, search each car, and check under each car for explosives with a mirror, before allowing you into the garage but the parking was free.

No automobiles are built in Colombia and the tarriffs are very high on cars. A good used car there costs as much as new car here. That is one reason they were hoping for a Free Trade Agreement with The USA to get rid of the tarriff on American cars. Mazda was the most popular car there.

Clothing was cheap, even name brand. I bought my friend a lot of Diesel brand clothes (at the Diesel store there)that would have cost 3-4 times as much here in the USA. The exchange rate was generally good when I visited but can change very fast.

My friend had a decent 2 bedroom apartment in a 6 story building with a balcony, no elevator, with secure parking under the building. He shared it with a friend and they paid about the equivalent of $600 a month.

When you go to a Club you do not order drinks by the glass. You order a bottle and they give you plastic cups and a bucket of ice. Everyone is searched, patted down when entering a club(at least the clubs we went to).

People are very Catholic and a visit to a small village on Good Friday was very interesting with such a large crowd people even filled the street into the town square,with the church doors open for the crowd to see the service. We traveled into the countryside on another Sunday evening and I noted people dressed up waiting along the road in many places. I was told they were going to church but did not have cars. Other people, many times with small pickup trucks would stop and give them a ride into town for church. Then they would have to start walking after church until someone else stopped to give them a ride home.

Medellin has one of the biggest and prettiest Christmas light displays that goes on for miles. They string lights and displays across a river that the road runs on each side off.

One of the funniest things I remember from my first trip was when we got stopped beside a decent sized building one night as people filled out of the building into the street. The building had, I would guess 6-8 sides and the street seperated around the building. I asked my friend what it was and what was going on. He said it was the bullfight arena and it was just letting out. I said "maybe we could go one evening?". He gave me a dirty look and said NO!! He went on to explain and basicly compared the people that went to the bullfights as what we would call "Rednecks" and comparing the bullfight to WWE wrestling here. So basicly saying only Colombian Rednecks went to Bullfights, I laughed my head off.

So Colombia for me, was an enjoyable place to visit but would not dare venture there on my own much less think of retiring there.

Oh by the way, McDonalds taste as bad there as it does here. :yes:

• Members

One of the most memorable fucks of my life was on a horse farm north of Montevideo. That was about 20 years ago and I still remember it. In fact, I think I may need some alone time with my memories now...

Was it good for the horse too? :lol: Sorry, just couldnt control myself. :P

On a serious note, based on what was said and what was not, it sounds like an amazing experience. It is nice to have one of those exceptional encounters to remember. I'll never forget my own. Although a less exceptional setting the experience simply the best ever. ;)

Guest NeedSome

Was it good for the horse too? :lol: Sorry, just couldnt control myself. :P

On a serious note, based on what was said and what was not, it sounds like an amazing experience. It is nice to have one of those exceptional encounters to remember. I'll never forget my own. Although a less exceptional setting the experience simply the best ever. ;)

Nice. I guess I opened myself up (no pun intended) with that comment. I have another story about a goat, but that was Tijuana, not South America.

KY, thanks for the great detail on Columbia. It is on my list for 2011. I have a friend flying down there in a few weeks to meet a boy he met on gayromeo. I hope he likes it as much as I think he will. I, for one, can't wait to visit it.

Now, when are you going to visit Thailand again? The boys miss you!