TotallyOz

The Lady is Released

Something I have been waiting for for a very very long time. I hope that the release is unconditional and allows her the freedom she so deserves.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-aung-san-suu-kyi-freed-20101114,0,4357514.story

Opposition leader and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi was freed Saturday in Myanmar after years in detention as a huge crowd presented flowers and chanted "Long Live Suu Kyi."

Soldiers armed with rifles and tear gas launchers pushed aside the barbed-wire barriers blocking her street at 5:15 p.m., leading to a gleeful dash the final 100 yards to her gate. Twenty minutes later, the slight pro-democracy opposition figure known here simply as "the lady" popped her head over her red spiked fence to a roar from jubilant supporters.

"It's very happy to see the people," she said, barely audible over the chanting. "It's been a very long time since I've seen you."

• Members

She won't be leaving, but at 65 may have to slow down a bit. The resistance has splintered over the years, and her own political party has been disbanded for failing to participate in the recent phony elections. China and India continue to fund the junta, so sanctions are virtually useless.