TampaYankee

4th Openly Gay Member Of Congress Elected

• Members

David Cicilline, 4th Openly Gay Member Of Congress, Elected In Rhode Island

MICHELLE R. SMITH | 11/ 3/10 03:01 AM | AP

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Rhode Island Democrat David Cicilline (sis-uh-LEE'-nee) has become the fourth openly gay member of Congress, winning the House seat vacated by retiring Rep. Patrick Kennedy.

The 49-year-old Providence mayor beat Republican state Rep. John Loughlin (LOF'-lin) on Tuesday in the race for the 1st District seat Kennedy had held for eight terms. Kennedy announced his retirement this year a few months after the death of his father, Massachusetts' U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Cicilline says voters are tired of partisanship and he hopes to "find common ground" with Republicans in Washington. He says it's good for America to have another diverse voice to help break down the walls of discrimination.

Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund president Chuck Wolfe says his group is proud of Cicilline and grateful to voters. The Fund is a national organization dedicated to electing more gay officials.

See original article at:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/03/david-cicilline-4th-openl_n_778092.html

Guest FourAces

David Cicilline, 4th Openly Gay Member Of Congress, Elected In Rhode Island

MICHELLE R. SMITH | 11/ 3/10 03:01 AM | AP

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Rhode Island Democrat David Cicilline (sis-uh-LEE'-nee) has become the fourth openly gay member of Congress, winning the House seat vacated by retiring Rep. Patrick Kennedy.

The 49-year-old Providence mayor beat Republican state Rep. John Loughlin (LOF'-lin) on Tuesday in the race for the 1st District seat Kennedy had held for eight terms. Kennedy announced his retirement this year a few months after the death of his father, Massachusetts' U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Cicilline says voters are tired of partisanship and he hopes to "find common ground" with Republicans in Washington. He says it's good for America to have another diverse voice to help break down the walls of discrimination.

Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund president Chuck Wolfe says his group is proud of Cicilline and grateful to voters. The Fund is a national organization dedicated to electing more gay officials.

See original article at:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/03/david-cicilline-4th-openl_n_778092.html

I find this to be good news but far from enough for equal representation. Hopefully because of the success he had in his election and the 3 others we will see more openly gay politicians in the 2012 races.

I do not think that just because somebody is gay they will represent my views however I do think that a public figure who is openly gay helps the mainstream accept us more easily.