TotallyOz

Tuesday's USA Election

• Members

What do you think the national election results will be? A Democratic stomp? A Republican Kick Ass? Staying the same?

A more challenging question would be: Predict the size of the landslide. :rolleyes:

House gains for GOP?

Senate gains for GOP?

Others would focus on some individual races:

Alaska Senate

Reid vs Angle

Feingold

West VA

Washington State

Colorado

Illinois

But maybe that would belong in the Politics Forum.

• Members

What do you think the national election results will be? A Democratic stomp? A Republican Kick Ass? Staying the same?

I remember that 2 years ago there was much talk about the Republcan party being dead. Well if that is so, this election will definitely be the raising of the dead. Even with some of the borderline candidates the Republicans are putting up, I think it will be a landslide for them. It would probably be even worse if they had a few better candidates. In my area I thought people were pissed off 2 years ago, but it is nothing compared to this year.

• Members

A more challenging question would be: Predict the size of the landslide. :rolleyes:

House gains for GOP?

Senate gains for GOP?

My predictions: 58 House seats gained for the GOP and 8 gained in the Senate for the GOP. If by chance they can get either West Virginia, California,or Washington State it will be bigger.

I remember that 2 years ago there was much talk about the Republcan party being dead. Well if that is so, this election will definitely be the raising of the dead. Even with some of the borderline candidates the Republicans are putting up, I think it will be a landslide for them. It would probably be even worse if they had a few better candidates. In my area I thought people were pissed off 2 years ago, but it is nothing compared to this year.

No political party is ever dead as people feel misrepresented by their government. The President made a huge mistake in my opinion. He took what was a backlash against government in 2006 to 2008 and misconstrued it as affirmative support for his own policies. It clearly was not that.

I have argued here for years that elections are won and lost in the political middle. I will never vote for a Democrat more than StuCotts would ever vote for a Republican. It's those in the middle, who are not particularly political who turn elections.

Obama clearly lost the political middle with a far left agenda that included cap and trade and the takeover of healthcare. The Tea Party has captured that middle with its promise of less government for the middle of the road voter.

My prediction is that the GOP will take 63 seats in the house, 8 in the Senate. Ohio's Governor will go to the GOP. There will be many surprises that won't make the left happy.

Sharron Angle will win easily.

Joe Miller will leverage this last minute media smear campaign against him into a win in Alaska

West Virginia goes to the GOP

Illinois to the GOP- Giannoulis is too damaged as a candidate to win.

Feingold wins.

Who knows in Colorado. A big turn out will bode badly for Michael Bennett.

• Members

GOP takes the house, the Dems keep the Senate but that asshole liberman becomes a swing vote available to the highest bidder.

I think Independent Sen Lieberman and Democrat Sen Ben Nelson will both swing with the Republicans in close votes.

• Members

I will never vote for a Democrat

I must believe that this man is a homosexual, and, I cannot understand people like him. He votes for a party with a majority who would prefer to see him in a concentration camp than walking the streets as a free person. As was said, "There never was a man so blind as a man who wouldn't see."

Gays who vote republican just do so because they are worried that if the Democrats get their way that their boyfriends will start bugging them for an engagement ring.

You know I love you but your insistent marriage phobia is a little overdone, don't you think?

If it ain't your thing, JUST SAY NO.

• Members

Well said!

There must be some joke here about PETA, fur coats and your hairy balls, but I can't quite put my hands on it. :P

You just did. Now, go wash them. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

No political party is ever dead as people feel misrepresented by their government. The President made a huge mistake in my opinion. He took what was a backlash against government in 2006 to 2008 and misconstrued it as affirmative support for his own policies. It clearly was not that.

I won't get into it in this forum, but I think this is not true. The republican machine is much, much better than the democratic machine and they controlled the message. People were seriously talking about death panels when the proposal was just to give people a chance to honestly consult about the end of life wishes. I think that was symptomatic of the whole debate on healthcare.

• Members

Coulda been worse. :mellow:

I almost wish the GOP had taken both Houses of Congress. It would be interesting and revealing to the public for them to have the full unfettered reigns in these times. The first issue they have to confront that will disappoint their base will be extension of the Debt Ceiling. Next will be their plan to cut spending in black and and white, not just in platitudes. Of course a government shutdown is a real possibility without Democrat support, maybe even with it. If you think any of this will go down easily with the people I believe you are mistaken.

I also suspect that the GOP plan for trickle-down job creation will find a public with a short span for demonstrated inprovement until they turn on the new Congress. These are roller coaster times.

We kept Reid and we kept the Senate.

We also kept out the crazier republicans.

Still many of the new ones that got into congress, like Rand Paul, will be shunned by long term GOP people, so in addition to fighting the Senate and Obama, the GOP will face a good deal of infighting.

In many ways this is as much a gift to Obama as the Contract With America thing was for Clinton. We got a whole lot of new Republicans in the house who won't really know how to govern.

Plus, it's easier to bitch about what's going on in the country when the other party is perceived as having all of the power. Now that they are elected people will expect the GOP to actually do something, which will be much harder for them.

We're probably all better off with Pelosi as minority leader, because it makes her less of a target and she never really delivered for Obama efficiently anyway.

Now we just have to see what the lame duck congress pushes through at their last session.

• Members

We're probably all better off with Pelosi... never really delivered for Obama efficiently anyway.

????????????? <scratching my head>

Love her or hate her... she delivered in spades. Just look at all the House passed legislation the Senate left on the floor including Cap & Trade.

She delivered but it took her a lot of time at a time when things had to happen quickly.

If health care had taken six weeks less to pass, Obama would be in much better shape today than he is.

Look, Pelosi pulled off the near-impossible, by main force. You saw the news reports of the 68 or so Democratic reps who had to be convinced to come over on health care. Normally the list would have been divided up among 3 or so leaders to go work on. But Pelosi said, "I'll take them all." And she did.

Whatever one thinks of her ideologies, she is a force of nature.

Would that, in some respects, Obama were half as forceful. A little LBJ could go a long way these days.

On the upside, as noted elsewhere, the election may now have given O the chance to prove he's at least half the politician that Bill was (is). We'll see.

• Members

She delivered but it took her a lot of time at a time when things had to happen quickly.

If health care had taken six weeks less to pass, Obama would be in much better shape today than he is.

I think we must tune in to different Congresses. The House Bill was waiting on the Senate for months. The delay was all Baucus' aided and abetted by Obama. Remember the Gang of Six?, then waiting for Olympia Snowe?

The train came off the rails when the Senate bill was allowed to slip past the August recess. Not only were the delays almost never ending. It permitted the process to become corrupted publicly at the town hall meeting and with all of the back room deals and shenanigans with Ben Nelson and Lieberman. This gave the product, the process and thus the Dem Congress a real black eye with the public, and with me too.

• Members

Just got around to watching Obama's Deal, Frontline's report on how the healthcare legislation got done. Worth watching, if only to confirm how worthy objectives were sacrificed, one by one, to force the legislation through. (sidenote: Rahm Emanuel can't exit Washington soon enough for me.)

It will be more than interesting to watch the Republicans try to make good on their threat to dismantle the small bits of healthcare reform that actually got through. Turns out it was the insurance lobby who demanded that everyone needed to buy coverage, so what will Boehner have to give the insurance companies when he takes those new customers away? Higher premiums and copays? More exclusions of higher risk patients? Cheaper care? How will that play out on the nightly news?

And when he's done with his clawbacks, does he think that corporations will now rethink their decisions to pass more healthcare costs on to their employees?

This will not be pretty to watch, in my opinion, especially against the backdrop of all the other industrialized nations that have found a way to provide healthcare to their citizens. The Republican House will have its work cut out for it.