8. Tucson, AZ

7. Las Vegas, NV

6. Fort Worth, TX

5. San Fransisco Bay Area, CA

4. San Antonio, Texas

3. Phoenix, AZ

2. Houston, TX

1. Los Angeles, CA

Read the full atory at : The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/10/29/the-ten-great-american-cities-that-are-dying-of-thirst/2/#ixzz13ySdo6R2

• Members

At least 5 of those cities NEVER had very much water except other people's water. Now that is running out or being "kept" by those who had it first. Just another example of too many people, not enough resources, not enough planning and little to no concern for "tomorrow".

Of course, there is plenty of water on this planet BUT it will get more and more expensive to have access to it. Years ago oil was regarded by some as a too cheap commodity and at various times food, money and now, perhaps last but certainly now least, water.

Best regards,

KMEM

Guest CharliePS

Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water

Posted: October 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

10. Orlando, FL

9. Atlanta, GA

8. Tucson, AZ

7. Las Vegas, NV

6. Fort Worth, TX

5. San Fransisco Bay Area, CA

4. San Antonio, Texas

3. Phoenix, AZ

2. Houston, TX

1. Los Angeles, CA

Read the full atory at : The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/10/29/the-ten-great-american-cities-that-are-dying-of-thirst/2/#ixzz13ySdo6R2

You will notice that, except for San Francisco, every one of these cities is in the South or the Southwest. Perhaps it's time for a new migration from the Sunbelt back to the North, upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest. Maybe that other list you published about good places to live, like Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Detroit, was part of a sneaky campaign to get us to leave enough water for those of us who don't want to leave the desert.

• Members

Maybe that other list you published about good places to live, like Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Detroit, was part of a sneaky campaign to get us to leave enough water for those of us who don't want to leave the desert.

The desert communities are literally on life-support -- have been from day one. Their life is limited, I suspect, without the advent of massive desalinization plants and water pipelines. Water will be priced like oil more than like water, but maybe not in our lifetime.

• Members

At least 5 of those cities NEVER had very much water except other people's water. Now that is running out or being "kept" by those who had it first. Just another example of too many people, not enough resources, not enough planning and little to no concern for "tomorrow".

Of course, there is plenty of water on this planet BUT it will get more and more expensive to have access to it. Years ago oil was regarded by some as a too cheap commodity and at various times food, money and now, perhaps last but certainly now least, water.

Best regards,

KMEM

I must have had one or two of those VO's + DC when I wrote this. Not only did I write "now" when I meant "not" but also signed as my alter ego from another site. Of course, anyone who reads both sites already knew that and more than one poster on this site has mentioned it before. Not a secret.

Best regards,

RA1

The desert communities are literally on life-support -- have been from day one. Their life is limited, I suspect, without the advent of massive desalinization plants and water pipelines. Water will be priced like oil more than like water, but maybe not in our lifetime.

Corporations that depend on water have been worrying about this for more than a decade already. For instance DuPont and others that use water as a primary industrial solvent have been investing fairly heavily in developing alternatives, such as ionic salts that remain liquid at near-room-temperatures.

As you say, cost-effective mass-scale desalination, together with new continent-scale distribution networks, looks like the only long-term answer.

Yet another consequence of there being two or three times too many H. sapiens for the planet's resources. Or, toggling the other switch, too many of us living too high on the hog.