Guest lurkerspeaks

Movies....

Guest lurkerspeaks

I saw Paranormal Activity 2 yesterday. If you were a fan of the first one, you will love this one. If you didn't like the original, then don't waste your time. I loved the first one and loved this one even more...

Can't wait to see Hereafter..The new Clint Eastwood produced, Matt Damon stars movie about afterlife..Getting very good reviews..

Another movie I am looking forward to is Burlesque..Cher and Christina Aguiliera together.. Could end up being a bomb, but it looks FABBBBBULOUS...singing, dancing, and sequens.. a gay dream come true!!!!

• Members

I really enjoyed The Social Network. The story is really amazing and to think it has all happened since 2003. The Town is a solid action pack bank heist movie. The car chase through narrow Boston area streets is great.

I'm a big fan of Clint Eastwood movies, but Hereafter previews are a little spooky to me. Not sure of the concept, but will probably see it. I also want to see the movie about Secretariat.

I'm also curious about the Joaquine (sp) Phoenix documentary. Has anyone seen it?

• Members

I saw Hereafter. Very clever bringing 3 different stories together. I liked Secretariat also. Due Date, just out, looks like it has potential. Has anyone seed Red with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban, Mary-Louise Parker, Brian Cox, Julian McMahon, Richard Dreyfuss?

Guest FourAces

It has been so long since I've had time to go see a movie. But I might have some free time next weekend. I'm thinking about seeing Hereafter or The Social Network. Anybody suggest one over the other?

• Members

It has been so long since I've had time to go see a movie. But I might have some free time next weekend. I'm thinking about seeing Hereafter or The Social Network. Anybody suggest one over the other?

I liked them both, but would see The Social Network first.

• Members

I wanted to see Inside Job, but it did not come to Palm Springs. Now, Red is the only one that appeals to me.

I find myself liking the convenience of Netflix. You don't have high prices, bad seats, noisy people, or people on their cell phones.

Even in the theater in New York last week there were so many people checking their messages during the shows I couldn't believe it. And inevitably someone's cell phone goes off.

• Members

I watched RED Hereafter and For Colored Girls....... Yesterday

Herafter was a total snoozefest IMO the stories were all great on their own and each could be developed into a good film=as long as Eastwood was not allowed to direct any of them

Red was great-what a great cast and a total suprise considering the genre.A well done take on a far fetched stoyline.

"Colored Girls..... was phenomenal.Some of the finest screen acting I have seen in years. It is a VERY serious movie and should probably be seen at a midweek daytime screening when there will not be a bunch of kids in the house.

Phylicia Rashād's performance will win her an Oscar.This was one of the best movies I have seen in years.

Guest lurkerspeaks

Saw Skyline yesterday...not terrible, but definitely nothing memorable.. Hated the ending..

Today I saw Unstoppable, with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. Very good action movie..I would recommend it for a couple of hours of distraction.

Can't wait until 127 Hours comes out.

• Members

Sometimes the reviews in newspapers determine if I am going to see a movie, but what to make of these two items from the NY Daily News?

a) Chemistry makes 'Love & Other Drugs'

Eureka! Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway make winning combo for the sexy flick

B) 'Love & Other Drugs': A lot of nudity, litte (sic)else

3 STARS. Anne Hathaway & Jake Gyllenhaal have OK chemistry. And great bodies.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/index.html#ixzz16DFTa9c6

So, I think I will go with the NY Times, which concludes its review:

"And it is to Mr. Zwick’s credit that “Love & Other Drugs” almost works, sustaining its blend of melodrama, low comedy and graceful wit for a good hour or so, but then succumbing to treacle, evasion and maudlin convention at the end. Unfortunately the effects of the movie, therapeutic and intoxicating though they are, wear off before it is over."

But then, there is Jake almost nude...

Guest lurkerspeaks

I saw 127 hours today.. All I can say is WOW......Great movie..outstanding performance by James Franco..not for the queasy though.. Pretty graphic.

Next on my "must see" list is Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera. Moviefone gave it a good rating, saying it is campy enough to be fun and enjoyable without being TOO over the top.

• Members

I found Unstoppable to be unimaginative and predictable. I went because I like Denzel and Chris Pine, but the train is the real star of this movie. Too much dramatic music and a hoaky storyline about being mad at your loved ones then they face a crisis that of course makes the person sorry they are mad. Guess how that works out!

Friends in LA really recommend Colin Firth's new movie about The King's Speech.

• Members

I found Unstoppable to be unimaginative and predictable...

The family and I saw this yesterday and we all thoroughly loved it. I highly recommend it.

Perhaps my background influenced my perspective on the movie since it is based on a real story. The movie kinda represented the actual facts but I still found it to be a exciting movie.

I'm really anxious to see 127 Hours. Unfortunately, that wasn't playing in the area where I spent Thanksgiving. But, will definitely see it.

• Members

I've seen Skyline, Unstoppable and Harry Potter recently.

Skyline, wow. They should give it acting and writing Raspberries now! But I was really surprised by how great the visual effects were. Not the design, also CRAP, but the implementation--that things could look that well integrated to the real world on a reasonable budget is pretty surprising. And they added amazing detail in the background without calling attention to it, like the carrier battle group (later shown destroyed). But everything else in this movie is a lesson on how to make a baaad Sci-Fi movie.

Unstoppable, I agree with both views. It is way over-directed, there's too much chaos added to create extra tension that's really not needed. Nor does the movie need another damn shot of a helicopter! And yet, it got me. It's edge of the seat stuff performed very well.

Harry Potter is what it is. I haven't read the books but have generally enjoyed the movies, as popcorn though--not as a deep engrossing thing. This movie is amazingly dark, but I'm looking forward to the next.

I don't think I could bring myself to see 127 hours. Having read a synopsis of the event back around when it happened was enough for me. Saw a funny comic about it though.

Guest lurkerspeaks

Today I saw Burlesque.. If you are a fan of musicals, Cher, Christina, or any combination of the above, you will probably like the film. There was enough camp to make it fun.. Enough music to keep things upbeat and peppy..Enough sequins to make it F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S...Yea, the story was pretty basic and predictable. Christina did a surprisingly good job in her first acting performance. Cher played a "been around the block" singer/performer. She looked extremely good for someone her age. Cher sang a couple of songs, but most of the musical numbers belonged to Christina. I left the movie in a happier mood than when I went in..

• Members

I saw The Warrior's Way over the weekend. Don't think most of the audience cared for it, think a couple may have walked out. It's stylized a bit (but not as much as 300 or Sin City), and a bit predictable, didn't quite have the finesse of a good Hong Kong-type movie either.

But I kinda liked it as a popcorn Ninja movie, would be better with a few beers first (or during--why can't we have those kinds of theaters here?).

It's a little surprising that Unstoppable is still going strong (though after 4+ weeks I expected its total numbers to be higher!), but I guess it's because there's just not much out there at the moment.

• Members

Has anyone seen I Love You Phillip Morris. Does Ewan drop trou? That would be a reason to see it if nothing else.

Just saw Burlesque. It finally came to me. :baby:

I give it 4 stars and that is just for the bartender played by actor Cam Gigandet. :cheer: I'm in love. :wub: (See below.)

Also, great to see what Christine Aguilera really looks like under that pancake and road tar she always hides under, not to mention it looks like she dropped some pounds for this movie. She cleans up nice! She actually did passable as Iowa wholesome, sorta.

She and Cher did nice jobs. Show: Fosse light, without the edge. All in all an entertaining watch.

post-100004-051163700 1328453172.jpg

post-100004-068807700 1328453181.jpg

post-100004-016767700 1328453188.jpg