Lucky

Freedom Author Snubbed

• Members

Jonathan Franzen didn't even get nominated for his novel Freedom by the National Book Award Committee. He won the award 9 years ago or his novel The Corrections, and the latest is getting great reviews and was picked by Oprah Winfrey for her viewers to all read. I only noticed this because I am at the moment just about finishing up Freedom and like it a lot. It has scathing commentary on today's society and politics, so if you like fiction, then this book might be for you, despite the stupid award committee!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/13/jonathan-franzen-snubbed-national-book-award_n_761159.html

• Members

Sorry Lucky but you lost me when you said Oprah recommends it.

Well, she was supposed to use his first book 9 years ago and then dumped it, so it was something when she picked this one. I wouldn't have picked it because of her either. It got such good reviews, so I decided to read it, and have now finished it. It's a masterpiece, just a brilliant look at society today and the perils facing the human race, all told in a story about one extended family over the years.

Guest zipperzone

Well, she was supposed to use his first book 9 years ago and then dumped it, so it was something when she picked this one. I wouldn't have picked it because of her either. It got such good reviews, so I decided to read it, and have now finished it. It's a masterpiece, just a brilliant look at society today and the perils facing the human race, all told in a story about one extended family over the years.

Sounds like an interesting read and I will give it a try.

Re Oprah's book club - I am so anti-Opera that just the sound of her name makes me want to hurl.

• Members

Sounds like an interesting read and I will give it a try.

Re Oprah's book club - I am so anti-Opera that just the sound of her name makes me want to hurl.

Her name does not come up even once in the book! I'd be glad to know if you liked the book as much as I did.

• Members

Surely another thread about a book would sink quickly, so I will use this one twice.

Phillip Roth has a new novel, NEMESIS, about a polio epidemic in 1944. The war is going on when suddenly young people throughout Newark are hit by polio, and the Jewish neighborhood is hit hardest. It reads nothing like you would expect having lived through the AIDS epidemic. It educates, infuriates, and occasionally entertains, but polio was not AIDS and the things that happen, and the fact that they mostly happen to young children, make for a different story. Roth's main character is very likable, at least until he isn't, but by then you will find yourself pretty infuriated with the real Nemesis of the book, God.

Like Freedom, this book contains some scathing observations on life, love, and religion, all of which I heartily enjoyed.

Guest NeedSome

Lucky, I thought that when she picked the corrections all those years ago it was Franzen who said, thanks but no thanks. I don't think it was Oprah who dumped it, but I could be remembering incorrectly. Kind of a stupid move on his part, in my opinion.

• Members

Lucky, I thought that when she picked the corrections all those years ago it was Franzen who said, thanks but no thanks. I don't think it was Oprah who dumped it, but I could be remembering incorrectly. Kind of a stupid move on his part, in my opinion.

You might be right. I seem to recollect it that way too, but then read something about her dumping him and went with it without checking further.

Did you read The Corrections? I didn't, so wonder what you thought of it.

Guest NeedSome

You might be right. I seem to recollect it that way too, but then read something about her dumping him and went with it without checking further.

Did you read The Corrections? I didn't, so wonder what you thought of it.

I did read it but honestly don't really remember it all that much. I recall thinking that it was ok but the characters were annoying, the story was somewhat overwrought, and the overall tone and prose were pretentious. Like he was writing it thinking "everyone will read this and be amazed at how clever I am."

For some reasons, it seems that I have some sort of head trauma in terms of reading retention, as I hardly ever remember much of the novels I read. For historical, biography, and other non fiction I seem to be fine, but novels just don't stick with me. Or maybe it's just some senior moments creeping in.

• Members

NeedSome, thank you so much for sharing that you often don't remember novels! I just read one that it turns out I had read before, and nothing in it rang a bell. It was really good though.

I guess if we rad for entertainment we don't retain as much as if we read to learn something.