TotallyOz

What's your favorite Broadway musical?

My niece is a theater buff and she and I get into great conversations about Broadway all the time. She said to me the other day, "Unkie, you always say that is one of your favorite musicals, which one really is YOUR favorite?"

I had to think about it for a bit as I have rarely been to a show I didn't like. I saw Rent at least 50 times. I saw Miss Saigon and Les Mis at least 25 times each. Phantom was next in line.

I loved Sideshow but few have heard of it. I did see Jonathon Larsen's other musical with Molly Ringwald.

When I was in NYC, there were few that I didn't see. So, my favorite? That is hard. I felt very personal about Rent as the themes touched me and I have never been without crying. I rarely listen to the music without tears. I've also met and gotten the autograph of the entire original cast.

But, my fav. That is hard. I would say Les Mis. The reason it is was my first musical and it opened my eyes to the world of Broadway but more important it just opened my eyes to possibilities.

What's your favorite Broadway Musical?

Guest lurkerspeaks

Hmmmm. I am a lover of the musical, but have never been to NYC to see an actual broadway play. So I can only name a few musicals that have come from broadway..

in no specific order:

1) La Cage

2) Gypsy

3) Rent

I reserve the right to come back and add more later..

Guest lurkerspeaks

Hmmmm. I am a lover of the musical, but have never been to NYC to see an actual broadway play. So I can only name a few musicals that have come from broadway..

in no specific order:

1) La Cage

2) Gypsy

3) Rent

4) A Chorus Line

I reserve the right to come back and add more later..

Originally my all time favorite was "Phantom of the Opera" until I saw "Spring Awakening" and now "Spring Awakening" is my all time favorite. I saw it with Lea Michelle and she is simply amazing on stage and on the small screen. Barbra watch out. . .

• Members

I've seen almost all of them over the years... some more times than others.

Hard to choose... since so many are great.... and apologies to those who I offend because taste is just that... taste

And if it's not listed in my list, it's because I didn't have a strong feeling one way or another, or in my aging brain, I just forgot I saw it!

In tiers...

1st tier:

Wicked

Les Miz

Phantom of the Opera

Billy Elliot

My Fair Lady

2nd tier:

Mamma Mia

Aida

Jersey Boys

Hairspray

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Spamalot

In a reverse list... here are the ones that are critically acclaimed and popular that I actually didn't like:

Miss Saigon

Lion King

Chicago

Cabaret

Spring Awakenings

• Members

It seems that for many, their favorite Broadway musical is the last one they have seen. And for someone who has seen dozens and dozens of them, how do you pick?

I liked so many, but the ones that come to mind first are:

M. Butterfly

La Cage Aux Folles

Fiddler on the Roof

Guys and Dolls

42d Street

Les Miz

Phantom

Spring Awakening

Rent

Billy Elliott (London production)

I would not put A Chorus Line on there, and West Side Story is debatable. I did enjoy The Will Rogers Follies, but probably not enough to put on the list.

• Members

Pirates of Penzance, it was the first Broadway Musical I saw and I can still hum a song or two from it.

#2 for me, definitely... Momma Mia

I actually fell asleep during Wicked the first time I saw it, even had good seats about 4 rows back center. So I had to see it again, stayed awake the second time and the seats weren't as good. LOL

• Members

Easily Rent followed by Fiddler on the Roof, Camelot and Billy Eliot.

And glad Marc Anthony apologized in advance because anyone who has such fine taste in Twinks, and does not even have Rent in the 3rd tier astounds me.

Maybe he didn't like the boys with him when he saw Rent???? LOL

Haha! Actually my 3rd list are the ones that were critically acclaimed but that I didn't like. So at least I didn't put Rent in that list!!! Not sure why Rent didn't resonate with me like the others. Who can figure taste? Most of the Broadway nuts that I hang around with will agree with me on many of the lists but we always beg to differ on how high up there Lion King and Rent should be....