TampaYankee

WHERE POLLUTERS ARE SENT TO PRISON

• Members

nytlogo152x23.gif

Company Head Arrested Over Sludge Torrent in Hungary

BUDAPEST — The managing director of the company whose reservoir unleashed a lethal torrent of red sludge on three villages last week has been arrested, the Hungarian prime minister announced before Parliament on Monday.

He will be charged with criminal negligence leading to a public catastrophe, and if convicted could face a sentence of up to 10 years, according to a government spokeswoman.

For thr complete article see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/world/europe/12hungary.html?_r=1&hp

It is refreshing to see a country actually hold business executives criminally liable for their negligent actions instead of just letting their stockholders pay corporate fines that are small in relationship to the damage done and to the money made from the shortcuts. It seems business doesn't own the Hungarian Republic. Good for them.

• Members

I agree this is refreshing. However, I have to hope that it does not take the head of government to personally intercede or announce any such development. In other words, it would be the ordinary course of "legal activity" that would prosecute such, not some intervention from "on high" to do so.

BO should not have had to "personally" go after BP. It should have been a routine matter that was routinely handled, don't you think?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

BO should not have had to "personally" go after BP. It should have been a routine matter that was routinely handled, don't you think?

Best regards,

RA1

In this country everything at that level is political. All you have to do is look at the Senate Republicans blocking supoenas for the BP spill. If the DOJ goes after them the GOP cries politics. Money talks in this country and guides almost everything that has strong financial or power influences. That doesnt mean money prevails every time just the vast majority of times. Both parties or a great many in each can be bought. In America it is called politics.

• Members

I realize you are just stating "what is" but don't you think it is "wrong" for this to be so?

My point is that "ordinary" offenses should be handled ordinarily and only if there are extreme miscarriages of justice that are not or cannot be remedied by the courts that the "political" process should or might be involved.

We seem to have the political process involved all too often and, very often, for the wrong reasons, or so I think.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

In a world of full transparency, I agree that the penalties for corporate malfeasance should be laid out clearly and dispensed equally.

The snag as I see it is that it would be take a huge bureaucracy, if it's even possible, for the government to be looking over the shoulder of every corporate manager who might make a boneheaded decision. It would tie up our courts, and the high-priced lawyers would still make sure that some folks would skate.

I think the quickest and most practical solution would be to make an example of a handful of high-level executives, as the Hungarians are doing. Watching your golfing foursome become a twosome because ol' Woody and Al are spending a few years on Rikers Island is the best way I know to get these managers' attention. They're the only ones who can create a corporate culture that values safety above profits, and they're the only ones who can get the message out forcefully throughout the organization. They just need an incentive to do it.

BP has a history of making deadly decisions in the name of profits. I'd suggest starting with them.

rikers-island.jpg

I agree with those who feel the politicians aren't likely to bite the corporate hands that feed them, so they're not likely to step up on their own. What does seem to get the politicians off their asses are the survivors of a disaster and their advocates and, even then, only during the early days of a disaster, before it morphs into an endless series of hearings and studies and regulations which will themselves likely be ignored within a few years. If we truly want to see our government respond as the Hungarians have done, I think it will take some folks going into the streets and shining a light on the unsatisfactory process we have today. In my opinion, another editorial won't do it.

DSC01461.JPG

I'm not suggesting riots or anything a lady shouldn't be seen doing in public, but I do think it's time to ask respectfully, thoughtfully, and firmly for a government that's more responsive to its citizens and less responsive to private industry.

• Members

Recently lookin called for these fora to be places of civility,

where one could come, even in distress, and find a warm welcome.

Now he calls for the elevation of integrity in government and business.

Less responsive to private industry

Suppposin, now just supposin, that pot is legalized in California

Will we all be singin a new tune? Perhaps this one from HotStylez:

"This is the song that doesn't end, lamb chop lookin' boy,

Bang-bang, bang-bang, bang-bang, ol' pops lookin' boy,"

In other words, will anything change? I hope so.