OneFinger

Salt Lake City Becoming "Normal"?!?!?

• Members

Salt Lake City School District is poised to become the first district in the state to ban discrimination over sexual orientation.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12714431

Although this proposed change does not provide protection for transgender individuals, I applaud this as a step in the correct direction.

• Members

considers is the operative word.

Approved is now the operative word. :shocked:

According to the television station owned by the Mormon Church:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The Salt Lake City school board has approved an anti-discrimination policy that includes protections for gay students and faculty.

The board approved the policy on a 4-3 vote Tuesday.

District officials told The Salt Lake Tribune they believe they are the first district in the state to include sexual orientation.

The district already identifies color, disability, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion and gender as protected classes.

Nine Utah cities, including Salt Lake City, passed ordinances in the past year prohibiting discrimination in employment or housing.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13575141

Does anyone know if Hell has frozen over?? Ten years ago, I never thought I'd see this.

• Members

If they legalize gay marriage I wonder if I could become a sister husband.

Believe it or not, there are a couple of gay "break-offs" from the Mormon Church. Members of these gay churches have similar beliefs to main-stream Mormons and they do practice polygamy.

Guest zipperzone

Believe it or not, there are a couple of gay "break-offs" from the Mormon Church. Members of these gay churches have similar beliefs to main-stream Mormons and they do practice polygamy.

Isn't it hard for them to practice polygamy when gay marriage is generally speaking not recognized? I think its just a bunch of fuck buddies living together.

• Members

That is very interesting. I wonder if Mormons' opinions on gays have evolved, they hated the backlash they got for h8, or there's a significant threat to the church's tax-exempt status because of their former political activism.

Mormons continue to view homosexuality as the sin "next to murder". However, they are now allowing openly gay people to be members as long as they are celibate. I know several gays that continue to believe in Mormon doctrine, adhere to celibacy, and are allowed access to Mormon temples.

Since the Prop 8 backlash, Mormons have become very vocal about gay-related violence, suicide, and bullying. They actively preach from the pulpit against that type of thing. But, on the other hand, they still endorse the Evergreen Foundation and shock therapy to "cure" gays.

The current President of the Mormon Church is someone I've known personally for over 40 years. He and my father were very good friends. He knows I'm gay and has never treated me differently than anyone else. IMHO, he is a caring and compassionate individual.

However, there are still some homophobes in the high ranks of the Mormon Church. I believe there is a very strong "war" going on behind the scenes between those that want to ban all gays that those that are more inclusive.

Personally, I'm one of those who supports taking away the Mormon Church's tax exempt status because of their political activism. I think they've crossed the line.

• Members

According to the testimony of some folks I know, "reformed Mormons" provide some of the hottest sex around. Whatever cranks your tractor. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1