Guest Matrix

California eases penalty for marijuana possession

Guest Matrix

Los Angeles Times Friday, October 1, 2010; 8:50 PM

SACRAMENTO, CALIF. - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ® signed a bill Thursday that will downgrade possession of an ounce or less of marijuana from a misdemeanor to an infraction.

YAY! HOORAY!

"The measure will keep most marijuana-related cases from going to court, and Schwarzenegger cited the state's budget woes for his decision."

Huh? So does this now represent to us that the evil green, that of which, has always been at the core of the government's argument which has fueled and funded their war-on-drugs mantra, that pot, was the stepping stone to more enjoyable harder drugs, which would inevitably be the demise and ruin our society, is no longer a concern to them, because those who govern and protect us from such evil, self destructive behavior and addiction need money to keep their enterprise running?

Are they now bailing on their once governmental controlled argument that it was for the well being of the people, simply because the state now needs and owes money? Has this California government absquatulated from it's values and protections for us all only to now pay it's irresponsible and out of control habit of spending and debt?

Will I now have to fear walking the streets or driving my car out of fear of being suddenly accosted by, or suddenly killed, respectively, by someone who has been drinking alcohol legally all night long while dancing to 50 cent tunes in the juke box all night?

Oh wait, that's been going on for decades now, hasn't it....never-mind.

"Possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction in everything but name," he wrote in a signing message, adding, "In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket."

Isn't it one thing to now claim that possession is one to that of a traffic violation, yet when this governor took office, he supported and defended the tens of thousands of individuals being jailed and imprisoned due to such possession and wreckage of our communities?

I for one am delighted that possession of marijuana has been reduced to a civil offense. But what I am deeply offended with is the manner and guise it has been done so with, like it's the best of two evils that needs correction.

I'd have respected this more had the state just come out and said that through social evolution and by once human error and ignorance in judgment, we are now reducing this menacing herb to a civil and traffic type offense.

I guess we need to happy with such social development and advancement, but I would have hoped it would have been done so with just exactly that. Not because it was the less of two evils.

When the law takes effect Jan. 1, the penalty for marijuana possession will remain a fine of up to $100 but no longer carry jail time.

A proposition that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana in the state goes before California voters next month. Schwarzenegger said he opposes that measure, known as Proposition 19.

Here's the full short-termed memory of the article, less my green commentary.

Dave? ^_^

Guest Matrix

Prop 19 will pass next month.

Yeah sure it will.

As it is defined:

Proposition 19, also known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010, is a California ballot proposition which will be on the November 2, 2010 California statewide ballot. It legalizes various marijuana-related activities, allows local governments to regulate these activities, permits local governments to impose and collect marijuana-related fees and taxes, and authorizes various criminal and civil penalties.[1] In March 2010 it qualified to be on the November statewide ballot.[2] It requires a simple majority in order to pass. Yes on 19 is the official advocacy group for the initiative.

The difference here is, at least as how I understand it as being......

One is by vote, the other is by forced molestation.