Lucky

Newspaper Comments

• Members

Nowadays many online newspapers allow the reader to comment on the article. It is a rather worthless endeavor on the larger papers, because who is going to read through 400 and some comments to see yours? But some actually rank the comments according to "most popular" so you at least get the gist of them.

So guess what? I comment...a lot. I love to see people respond to what I say, and maybe get a rise out of a diehard conservative.

Today the SFgate.com has an article on a gay lawyer running against an incumbent judge. It seems the incumbent wants to speak at the gay community center, but some nitwit said that was a bad idea given that he was opposing a gay man. Turns out the incumbent will be trotting out his lesbian sister from Iowa or Idaho for the occasion.

But the columnist wants to make the candidate look bad for the nitwit's comment. What would you have said?

(BTW- the gay lawyer running is author Michael Nava, who has written a series of gay detective novels, and is widely respected as a writer of many appellate court opinions as well. Don't be thinking that being gay in San Francisco is automatically gonna get you elected either. Those quys know how to eat their own.)

Guest FourAces

Nowadays many online newspapers allow the reader to comment on the article. It is a rather worthless endeavor on the larger papers, because who is going to read through 400 and some comments to see yours? But some actually rank the comments according to "most popular" so you at least get the gist of them.

So guess what? I comment...a lot. I love to see people respond to what I say, and maybe get a rise out of a diehard conservative.

You are like the king of comments .. I'm sure you drive the conservatives absolutely crazy :P

When I check local papers I do notice a comment section but rarely any comments. I guess people are more interactive in certain cities than others. A little bit of a surprise to me is when I see an article in the Star Telegram online (Fort Worth newspaper) people do tend to comment quite a bit. But I haven't dived in as yet.

btw the article you speak of in the SF gate is fascinating. Do you know the outcome?