Lucky

War Evils

• Members

I've heard worse stuff, a lot worse, casually related to me by guys back from Viet Nam. Members of our species are quite capable of killing each other without getting particularly upset about it.

If you systematically break down a kid's socialization against popping a cap on another human, incidences like this are going to happen. More than likely the guy in that clip gets along just fine with his family and friends.

If it's a commentary on anything, OZ, it's a commentary on war or maybe humanity in general.

If it's a commentary on anything, OZ, it's a commentary on war or maybe humanity in general.

I guess you are right. I am not sure how much it says about humanity but perhaps a great deal of those trained for war. I have family in the military and I respect what they do for this country. I wish there was more training and supervision of our troops in times of war. And, we weren't meant to be in war this long. I blame this on our leaders.

• Members

I guess you are right. I am not sure how much it says about humanity but perhaps a great deal of those trained for war. I have family in the military and I respect what they do for this country. I wish there was more training and supervision of our troops in times of war. And, we weren't meant to be in war this long. I blame this on our leaders.

It says much more about humanity than war. War is hell and can transform in some indeterminate way many who participate, surely, However, as far as I know, the human species is the only one with the capacity for senseless killing. Other specices kill for food, territory, mating rights. I am unaware of any other species that kills simply for the sake, or is it the thrill, of killing. We are truly set apart from all other life forms in that capacity.

• Members

"I am unaware of any other species that kills simply for the sake, or is it the thrill, of killing."

I had a house cat that used to love chasing small critters. ;) Every once in a while he would catch one. Near as I could tell it was all in fun, at least for the cat.

World wide, across all cultures, our ancestors almost always built their huts in tight clusters, usually within some kind of wall. If there was a high site available, that's where they built, even when it meant long walks to their fields &/or their water source. What does all that tell you about humans?

We are what we are. Not killer apes but not bonobos either.

----

Medieval Scandinavians usually had a nickname derived from some unusual personal characteristic. Records survive of a Viking with the nickname "Child Lover". Seems he was too tender hearted to bash French children in the head with his axe. What does that tell you about humans?