Lucky

Whipped

• Members

One might think that it would be an advantage to live in California, so that when the Yankee game goes into long extra innings, as it did last night, or has rain delay, as it did tonight, the California fans can stay up late to watch while the New York fans have to hit the sack.

But, in both cases, it would have been better to sleep through the ending of the games as the Yankees lost 6 to 5 in 13 innings and then threw away a heartbreaker as superstar Mariano Rivera didn't seem to know how to pitch tonight. With the bases loaded he hit the batter...unfuckingbelievable! Rivera just does not do that.

To make it worse, the series is ballyhooed as a playoff preview ,with Texas and New York both leading their divisions. One can only hope that the Yankees will get their game face back before the playoffs.

One consolation- a Tampa Bay v. Texas playoff would have some of the hottest players in baseball teeing off against each other. Ian Kinsler, for starters!

Go ahead, say Josh Hamilton!

(Non-baseball fans are encouraged to ignore this thread!)

• Members

As a kid I was a big baseball fan and a player too -- Little League and Babe Ruth League. I was a fierce Yankees fan... fierce. Never missed a game on TV. My sun rose and set on Mantle, Berra, Maris, Elston Howard, Whitey Ford... Casey Stengal, Ralph Houk... the list goes on and on.

I had respect for other teams and their players too. The Dodgers with Drysdale, Koufax, Maury Wills..., the White Sox... The teams were the players and the players were the teams, stable year after year, more or less.

Then Free Agency came to the game. It never was the same for me again. How can you give your heart to to a team and players when they become just expensive chess pieces on the board that get moved to different boards every new season. Where is the loyalty? It took the emotional attachment out of it, for me.

I know Free Agency was good for the players but it was bad for me. :(

Guest WhippedGuy

One might think that it would be an advantage to live in California, so that when the Yankee game goes into long extra innings, as it did last night, or has rain delay, as it did tonight, the California fans can stay up late to watch while the New York fans have to hit the sack.

But, in both cases, it would have been better to sleep

Well... I thought that this thread was going to be about a different topic... but the Yankees are my second or third favorite topic after the "other" stuff... Well, this East-coaster went to sleep on Friday thinking that they Yanks had it in the bag and winning 5-4... Last evening I got home an settled in to watch just as the tarp was being placed on the field... again a good decision to hit the hay...

There was a time when I used to sit up by the radio all night... but those days are long over... Now I can use all the rest I can get.

Still, the boys had better get their act together... but better to have the slump now that in a few weeks from now. This has traditionally been the pattern... so there is still hope that Mariano has not forgotten how to pitch and Jeter has not forgotten how to hit.. etc... perhaps Andy's return will help as well...

Today's game starts at 3:05 PM here so I think I will make it all the way through!!

PS: I agree with TY about free agency... that's what makes Jeter special... loyalty... and that's what upset me about Andy from a few years ago... but he's back so he's forgiven. Hopefully, he did not forget how to pitch either...

• Members

Oz, thanks for trying! Stick with me long enough and I will make a baseball fan out of you. The bf hated baseball when I met him, now he yells at the screen like the rest of us!

Whipped guy, I may have to leave today's game to you. In California it falls during serious Sunday brunch time! Maybe I can tape it. I do predict a Yankee win today.

Guest FourAces

Not a huge baseball fan here but I do want to stress that it was the TEXAS RANGERS my home team that put the hurt on the precious Yankees :o

Now are you ready for some football :P

• Members

Yes, the Texas Rangers, with former owner George W. Bush and his lovely wife in attendance- at least until the rain delay. God Bless America was sung by a barbershop quartet!

In San Diego when I went they had Lea Salonga singing both the national Anthem and GBA.