KYTOP

Rio drug violence spills over into Intercontinental Hotel

Having stayed at this hotel over 200 nights over the many years, this is not a surprise to me. The hotel is great but surrounded by a very dangerous flavela. I love the hotel and the beach. The Fashion Mall is also right there. It was the most exclusive mall in Rio for a bit. Several years ago bullets from the flavella flew into the mall.

I hope the hotel does not loose business over this but I am sure it will.

Guest tomcal

The Interconntinental Hotel is quite a ways south of Ipanema, maybe 15 minutes by cab? Oz you would know better, I have only stayed there once and that was when my flight was cancelled going home and American Airlines put us up there for the night. It's not in Hotel row of Copa/Ipanema but set in the Barra section by itself. Over the years there have been these sporadic episodes of violence but usually they have been smart enough to stay away from the tourist zones as they know this will break the heat from the Fed. gov't down on them. It sounds like this was the closest option for the gunmen to get to when they were on the highway. and wasn't there intention to target a hotel or tourists.

The Alantico Hotel were a lot of us have stayed for the past 7 or 8 years is 4 blocks in from the beach and considered more of a business/locals hotel. It is definitely a moderate hotel but very gay friendly and close to a multitude of restaurants and easy access to the saunas.

• Members

The Interconntinental Hotel is quite a ways south of Ipanema, maybe 15 minutes by cab? Oz you would know better, I have only stayed there once and that was when my flight was cancelled going home and American Airlines put us up there for the night. It's not in Hotel row of Copa/Ipanema but set in the Barra section by itself. Over the years there have been these sporadic episodes of violence but usually they have been smart enough to stay away from the tourist zones as they know this will break the heat from the Fed. gov't down on them. It sounds like this was the closest option for the gunmen to get to when they were on the highway. and wasn't there intention to target a hotel or tourists.

The Alantico Hotel were a lot of us have stayed for the past 7 or 8 years is 4 blocks in from the beach and considered more of a business/locals hotel. It is definitely a moderate hotel but very gay friendly and close to a multitude of restaurants and easy access to the saunas.

I have not stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel but had lunch there with a group in 2007. Few of us have had a penchant to stay at The ATLANTICO Copa Hotel based on what Tom so succinctly related!

Too bad that this happened, and of course, it will adversely affect its business!