BiBottomBoy

"Ten Greatest People Of The 20th Century"

As I've said before I live in France and there's an interesting controversy going on right now.

One of the local politicians is spending 2 million euros to erect statues of the "Ten Greatest People Of The 20th Century."

His choice of historical figures is, to say the least, "interesting."

1. Vladamir Lenin

2. Winston Churchill

3. Charles de Gaulle

4. Franklin Roosevelt

5. Jean Jaurés

6. Mahatma Gandhi

7.Golda Meir

8.Gamal Abdel Nasser

9. Nelson Mandela

10. Mao Zedong

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/20/alexander-chancellor-montpellier-statues

Guest twinklover

I want to barf. I don't give a shit about the "world" thinks. The world, as we know it, would not exist if not for our, I mean the USA's, hegemony.

Right bbb? Or do such lists exist in an alternate universe?

Guest twinklover

Fabulous, I can go off and play Starcraft 2 unless lookin should show up here with pics of boys to see or amusing comments that I must observe before work tomorrow morning. How do you others do this, disregarding time-zones? How?

What do you do? Sleep all day? And post all night?

Fabulous, I can go off and play Starcraft 2 unless lookin should show up here with pics of boys to see or amusing comments that I must observe before work tomorrow morning. How do you others do this, disregarding time-zones? How?

What do you do? Sleep all day? And post all night?

I don't understand your question.

• Members

The first sentence of this post says I'm in France...

Which post is less than conclusive evidence of the state of Twinklover's knowledge.

A short while ago (on another thread), Twinklover posted that while he wasn't high, he was pleasantly buzzed. ;)

Guest twinklover

Hey, say what you wish, or we can always meet on the dance floor or somewhere else and you can somehow convince me of your non-internet prowess. There are four names on my list and, sorry, not a Frenchman is to be found among them or any mass murderers because when I think of the "Greatest" people I mean it. There were four, excluding philosophers and scientists.

Guest twinklover

So here's my four you stoners:

Winston, FDR, Gandhi and Mandela.

All heroes. The rest are, well I wouldn't be so brash to say they were and

are, losers like you. No, you didn't get this info from spaceship stonehedge.

I'm waiting to get stoned with Ralph Woods. I am; I'm not wasting it here.

• Members

The underlying flaw of the list is that it privileges politics as the most important human activity. Why not an industrialist like Ford? or a man like Einstein? Is a second rate national politician really more important than the guy who discovered penicillin?

----

Guys, I'm enjoying this but my acetaminophen is finally kicking in, so I'm gonna try to get some sleep. See you later.

• Members

First, I can think of a hundred better things to use 2 million euros on... easily.

There are four names on my list and, sorry, not a Frenchman is to be found among them or any mass murderers because when I think of the "Greatest" people I mean it. There were four, excluding philosophers and scientists.

Louis Pasteur? He made grand contributions that touch each of our lives everyday and probably he is one of the reasons we as given indivuals are here today? Maybe not the greatest, but he is French and great.

Louis Pasteur (1822-1895)

If one were to choose among the greatest benefactors of humanity, Louis Pasteur would certainly rank at the top. He solved the mysteries of rabies, anthrax, chicken cholera, and silkworm diseases, and contributed to the development of the first vaccines. He debunked the widely accepted myth of spontaneous generation, thereby setting the stage for modern biology and biochemistry. He described the scientific basis for fermentation, wine-making, and the brewing of beer. Pasteur's work gave birth to many branches of science, and he was singlehandedly responsible for some of the most important theoretical concepts and practical applications of modern science...

http://www.accessexcellence.org/RC/AB/BC/Louis_Pasteur.php

I'm just sayin' , he's French and great. There was also that guy who invented puff pastries... name slips my mind. Simply great though. :D

Guess I wasn't reading the original post very closely. No matter how great Louis' contributions he didn't survive into the 20th Century. TY :huh:

TY,

I would have mentioned him to, but it's the "20 Greatest People Of The 20th Century."

That said, the doctor who initially isolated the HIV virus was French and I'd consider putting him on the list.

First, I can think of a hundred better things to use 2 million euros on... easily.

Louis Pasteur? He made grand contributions that touch each of our lives everyday and probably he is one of the reasons we as given indivuals are here today? Maybe not the greatest, but he is French and great.

Louis Pasteur (1822-1895)

If one were to choose among the greatest benefactors of humanity, Louis Pasteur would certainly rank at the top. He solved the mysteries of rabies, anthrax, chicken cholera, and silkworm diseases, and contributed to the development of the first vaccines. He debunked the widely accepted myth of spontaneous generation, thereby setting the stage for modern biology and biochemistry. He described the scientific basis for fermentation, wine-making, and the brewing of beer. Pasteur's work gave birth to many branches of science, and he was singlehandedly responsible for some of the most important theoretical concepts and practical applications of modern science...

http://www.accessexcellence.org/RC/AB/BC/Louis_Pasteur.php

I'm just sayin' , he's French and great. There was also that guy who invented puff pastries... name slips my mind. Simply great though. :D

• Members

TY,

I would have mentioned him to, but it's the "20 Greatest People Of The 20th Century."

That said, the doctor who initially isolated the HIV virus was French and I'd consider putting him on the list.

I wouldn't quibble with your top 20 any more than I would quibble with Tomcal's top 20 Sauna Boys. They are all in my top 10. :wub: