Lucky

Net Speed Falls Short of Promise

• Members

From SFGate.com:

When you signed up for your current Internet service, the provider you chose indicated you'd get speeds "up to" a certain amount - say, 8 Mbps.

But good luck actually achieving that. According to a study released by the Federal Communications Commission [PDF], most U.S. broadband users get about half the speed they were promised.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=70387&tsp=1#ixzz0wzVoglRS

• Members

From SFGate.com:

When you signed up for your current Internet service, the provider you chose indicated you'd get speeds "up to" a certain amount - say, 8 Mbps.

But good luck actually achieving that. According to a study released by the Federal Communications Commission [PDF], most U.S. broadband users get about half the speed they were promised.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=70387&tsp=1#ixzz0wzVoglRS

With Comcast cable, I get about 12Mbps download speed and 3Mbps upload speed. It varies a little by time of day, and is usually fastest late at night.

I've got no major beefs, but I'd be interested in what speeds others get. I used the Speakeasy speed test.

• Members

With Comcast cable, I get about 12Mbps download speed and 3Mbps upload speed. It varies a little by time of day, and is usually fastest late at night.

I've got no major beefs, but I'd be interested in what speeds others get. I used the Speakeasy speed test.

I got 19.7 and .97, using Los Angeles as a base. Does that matter if it is only the nearest city?

• Members

I got 19.7 and .97, using Los Angeles as a base. Does that matter if it is only the nearest city?

Comcast cable here. I got spreads from 15 to 26 download and 1.6 to 3.4 upload, depending on base. Lucky, my numbers from Los Angeles were 21.6 & 2.3. Go figure.