BiBottomBoy

I'm Here For The Superior Intellects

Guest twinklover

BiBottomBoy, I really like you especially after your comment that fat ass (chub)

is always free in any bear bar or, generally speaking, wherever we go, so true, yet even I can't resist it sometimes.

So to your obviously "ironic" (I'm a "mean girl" trying hard to be nice) heading, let me just say, let him come over here and post for real. I re-ask this question: who is this "Daddy"? Is he like the Wizard of Oz, flippant, unseen and mysterious, except this "Daddy": he's never revealed himself and never, ever makes amends and yet he appears to have very deep psychological and financial problems without the slightest regard of the difficulties of others? :blink: Hmmm.

Guest twinklover

Don't get me pissing my panties. I'm off to bed now. I'll be sure to mention something about C(Ka)unt, Derridass, Heideggerrrrr, and other philosphical big loads and assholes tomorrow afternoon. I will have something very irreverant to say about each and every one of them. Does that whet your appeti"tit" lookin?

• Members

Don't get me pissing my panties. I'm off to bed now. I'll be sure to mention something about C(Ka)unt, Derridass, Heideggerrrrr, and other philosphical big loads and assholes tomorrow afternoon. I will have something very irreverant to say about each and every one of them. Does that whet your appeti"tit" lookin?

I'll say!

Whet (verb): excite, stir, stimulate

Careful, you're going to make me whet myself. :P

• Members

You guys came here for the intellect? Hell, this is a pub. A tavern. A place to chill.

Oz, I have to correct you. This no longer a Pub but Lucky's Tea House of the August Moon. :D

Below, one of the more august members of the Tea House who seems to have smuggled in some Saki to fortify his tea. It appears he is beyond chilling. :P

drunk.jpg

• Members

Oz, I have to correct you. This no longer a Pub but Lucky's Tea House of the August Moon. :D

Below, one of the more august members of the Tea House who seems to have smuggled in some Saki to fortify his tea. It appears he is beyond chilling. :P

Luckys4x4.jpg

• Members

Or, if you will:

Mr. Lucky's

2605 Seminole Rd

Columbia, South Carolina 29210

Broad River Rd..

803-555-5555

Club Type: Nude

Avg. Private Dance Cost: 30

Avg. Drink Cost: 0

• Beer and Wine • Full Bar • 18 and over • Stage Dancing (Bikini) • Stage Dancing (Topless) • Stage Dancing (Nude) • Lap Dances (Bikini)

Oz nude dances are extra

Guest CharliePS

But... I still want to know what you think of Nabakov's use of inverted narrative structure in Lolita...

I'd rather discuss which version of Fitzgerald's "Tender is the Night" is more effective: the original edition, or the later one in which Malcolm Cowley rearranged the narrative structure according to what he claimed were Fitzgerald's intentions before he died. That should really attract lots of lively intellectual discussion for the forum.

But... I still want to know what you think of Nabakov's use of inverted narrative structure in Lolita...

Any possible discussion of this has already been precluded by Kinbote's critical apparatus about, implicitly, same. ^_^

Which impossibility only furthers his point.

• Members

Any possible discussion of this has already been precluded by Kinbote's critical apparatus about, implicitly, same. ^_^

Excuse me, but don't you mean Professor Vseslav Botkin's critical apparatus? The best modern scholorship, or at least Wikipedia ;) , inclines to that view.

Excuse me, but don't you mean Professor Vseslav Botkin's critical apparatus? The best modern scholorship, or at least Wikipedia ;) , inclines to that view.

Isn't that what I said? :D

Without, of course, going too deeply into the definition of 'I'.

I was the shadow of the waxwing slain...

This seems as good a place to post this as anywhere.

Celebrated critic Frank Kermode dies aged 90

Prominent for more than half-a-century, he combined an eminent scholarly career with popular success

Alison Flood

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 18 August 2010 12.22 BST

Widely acclaimed as Britain's foremost literary critic, Sir Frank Kermode died yesterday in Cambridge at the age of 90.

The London Review of Books, for which the critic and scholar wrote more than 200 pieces, announced his death this morning. Kermode inspired the founding of the magazine in 1979, after writing an article in the Observer calling for a new literary magazine.

Prominent in literary criticism since the 1950s, Kermode held "virtually every endowed chair worth having in the British Isles", according to his former colleague John Sutherland, from King Edward VII professor of English literature at Cambridge to Lord Northcliffe professor of modern English literature at University College London and professor of poetry at Harvard, along with honorary doctorates from universities around the world. He was knighted in 1991, the first literary critic to be so honoured since William Empson.

A renowned Shakespearean, publishing Shakespeare's Language in 2001, Kermode's books range from works on Spenser and Donne and the memoir Not Entitled to last year's Concerning EM Forster.

His publisher, Alan Samson, at Weidenfeld & Nicolson said Kermode would probably be most remembered for The Sense of An Ending, his collection of lectures on the relationship of fiction to concepts of apocalyptic chaos and crisis, first published in 1967, as well as for Romantic Image, a study of the Romantic movement up until WB Yeats.

Samson published Kermode's most recent book, Concerning EM Forster, last year. Forster, who also died aged 90, gave the Clark lectures at Cambridge in 1927, which led to his seminal book of literary criticism, Aspects of the Novel. Kermode delivered the Clark lectures 80 years later, in 2007, and worked with Samson to turn them into a book. The pair had been discussing a further title, about TS Eliot, following a lecture Kermode gave at the British library, but "now this will never happen, sadly", said Samson.

He called the literary critic "a one-off". "He's probably the greatest literary conversationalist I've ever known - it wasn't just the lectures and the monographs and the books, it's the fact that just talking about a writer he'd say incredibly pithy, intelligent things which would prompt you to go and read them again," he said. "He knew he had exceptional gifts, but there was a modest manner about him. He knew he was smarter than everyone else, but he was this pipe-smoking, beguiling man who listened to what you had to say ... It's the wreath of pipe smoke, and the benign smile and wisdom, which I'm really going to miss."

The range of Kermode's gaze is shown by his book Pleasing Myself, which pulls together his literary journalism, reviewing everything from Seamus Heaney's new translation of Beowulf to Philip Roth's "splendidly wicked" Sabbath's Theater.

He fundamentally changed the study of English literature in the 1960s by introducing French theory by post-structuralists such as Roland Barthes and Michel Foucault, and post-Freudians such as Jacques Lacan, into what Sutherland described as "the torpid bloodstream of British academic discourse". Speaking to Sutherland in 2006, Kermode admitted that the move had "attracted quite a lot of opprobrium".

Although he later moved away from theory, he told Sutherland that the time considering it was not wasted. "One of the great benefits of seriously reading English is you're forced to read a lot of other things," he said. "You may not have a very deep acquaintance with Hegel but you need to know something about Hegel. Or Hobbes, or Aristotle, or Roland Barthes. We're all smatterers in a way, I suppose. But a certain amount of civilisation depends on intelligent smattering."

Kermode was also an acclaimed reviewer. John Updike said that his conclusions seem "inarguable – indeed just what we would have argued, had we troubled to know all that, or goaded ourselves to read this closely", while Philip Roth admitted that although he dislikes reading reviews, "if Frank Kermode reviewed my book I would read it".

The American writer will no doubt have been pleased by a 2008 review of his novel Indignation in the LRB, in which Kermode wrote that "he is a writer of quite extraordinary skill and courage; and he takes on bigger enemies in every book he writes".

His most recent article for the London Review of Books was published in May this year – a review of Philip Pullman's The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ.

Speaking to the Guardian in December last year, Kermode said that it was "pure chance that one isn't either dead or useless; I don't think either of those things is true, yet, of me".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/18/frank-kermode-dies-aged-90

P.S. Just stumbled across this bizarre thing about relationship of Nabokov to Robert Frost ("our dullest great poet," in the dead-on assessment of John Ashbery :lol: ):

http://www.libraries.psu.edu/nabokov/socher.htm