Guest twinklover

Pat Tillman

Guest twinklover

I watched this on MSNBC tonight. I want the full story known. Pat Tillman was an amazing football player. I admired him being on the other side as a Cal Bears fan in his college games. Why the cover-up? Why? This guy is the salt of the earth, an American hero, and his family feels like Pat and the truth of his death has been suppressed.

I know this is the MER site and we, hell-bound faggots, aren't supposed to discuss anything of common interest. Yet, we will. Here we are. We are your grandparents, uncles, aunts, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren,etc. And as we move to full equality, people need to know that we DO CARE about straight, courageous, self-less, American heroes like Pat Tillman.

My heart goes out completely to his wonderful family.

Well, it's not just me. I guess other people find this story worth commenting on.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/435737-pat-tillman-film-to-be-released-august-20-fathers-letters-released

My brother was a career army officer. My father was career air force.

Friendly fire happens. Nobody likes to talk about it, and certainly not to the families of the soldiers killed this way, but it is a reality of war. What he sees as a 'coverup' is probably pat's fellow soldiers trying to leave the family and the country with a happier, though dishonest, story of his death.

Of course they shouldn't have done it, but I am not willing to crucify them for doing it.

Guest FourAces

DO CARE about straight, courageous, self-less, American heroes like Pat Tillman.

Twinklover a couple of thoughts. First I am not aware that people do not think Gays care about straight people. I care about all good people straight or gay or whatever.

What happened to Pat was tragic but no more tragic than any soldier killed while protecting our country. I think its always more heartening to know his death was due to a horrible accident but that is one of the risks of combat. Should the government be honest in these situations I think so but I can see the other side too.

As you mention, Pat is very much a American Hero but no more or less a hero than the thousands of young men and women who have lost their lives fighting to protect our rights as Americans.

Guest twinklover

Fair enough. I probably should not have singled out the fact that he was straight. Many gay and lesbian service men and woman have died too. And you are right the sexual orientation aspect of this is irrelevant. I shouldn't have mentioned it. But I do think this story deserves a full airing. The Tillman parents do not appear insane to me. If I were in the military, I would have done everything possible to answer their questions completely, no matter how bad the truth was. We owe it to Pat and his family, and we owe to all the other men and women who serve our country and their families.

Yes, we can handle the truth. I am hopeful the Obama administration and MSNBC will further pursue this matter.

Guest restless

owe to all the other men and women who serve our country and their families.

Yes, we can handle the truth. I am hopeful the Obama administration and MSNBC will further pursue this matter.

I've been talking in the political forum about MSNBC. They've been doing some really, really good reporting. I for one am cheering them on.

• Members

Sadly, friendly fire is not a new thing in a WAR and Pat Tillman is not the only one to have died from such a tragic accident in this war. I feel for the families of not just those who die from Friendly Fire, but also for the families of all that have died and for those that have been permanently maimed.

I also feel for those soldiers that have, by accident, killed one of their fellow soldiers by accident. It surely is a huge burden to bear.

I am not sure how much good can come from it being made public that someone died of friendly fire. It would be very hard for me if one of my family members died that way. However, I do think there must be accountability. I am not sure how this is done without full disclosure of the facts.

I agree this man was a hero. I do not want my military to cover up problems. I am just not sure how much I want them to disclose either.

Sorry if I sound wishy washy on this. Wars are brutal on everyone involved. I have the greatest respect for our servicemen and women. I appreciate all they do for our country. That said, I don't think it is our job to police the world. We have too many problems at home to take care of other problems.