TownsendPLocke

Buying Tech from an office supply store

• Members

I have often seen good deal on computers at "non computer stores"such as office supply places.

Well the other day I had to take my desktop in to have a virus removed(thanks Norton :angry: ) and I decided to try Staples since I am boycotting Best Buy.

While there I looked at the laptops they had on display and the tech guy I had just dealt with came over to talk with me.He said he was very impressed with this lappie and the price they had was excellent.

I went online and checked out the lappie and it turned out the price was far below what I could find online and I decided to buy it. The next day I found an ad for a big thec store which had the same lappie at a lower price and decided to see if they would price match.Not only did they give me the lower price they threw in a lot of stuff for free/heavy discounts.

I also have made a good friend with the young Tech guy who was honest,bright and most importantly non condescending-a rare bird amongst IT folks.

So if you are looking for a computer or for tech stuff you might want to look outside of the regular places.

• Members

That's great! There's really nothing to recommend Best Buy, with their anti-gay donations but also the outright ripping people off with trying to force them into worthless install/optimization services--and then the extended warranty--and then the over-priced peripherals--and then the overpriced cables to connect the peripherals!

I know Costco is great for printers and supplies, it may also be worth looking at their computers for anybody in the market.

• Members
There's really nothing to recommend Best Buy, with their anti-gay donations but also the outright ripping people off with trying to force them into worthless install/optimization services--and then the extended warranty--and then the over-priced peripherals--and then the overpriced cables to connect the peripherals!

Tell me! I was looking for a 3-foot hdmi cable, and my local Best Buy had only one in stock - for $50! Ended up buying it from a CVS drug store for $20. If I had wanted to wait a few days, I could have bought it on-line for less than $10.

I'm not against folks making a profit, but really! :rolleyes:

Didn't know about their anti-gay funding until these posts. Thanks guys! They're officially off my list.

Guest Barr1965

That's great! There's really nothing to recommend Best Buy, with their anti-gay donations but also the outright ripping people off with trying to force them into worthless install/optimization services--and then the extended warranty--and then the over-priced peripherals--and then the overpriced cables to connect the peripherals!

I went to Best Buy to get my mom's new cell phone. The salesgirl was so very uninterested when she was explaining to us about the new phone my mom wants. She seemed irritated every time we asked her a question. So I told her that if she is not interested in helping then leave us alone and we will find another place to get a new phone. And we left.

Guest restless

That's good advice, Townsend. I'm going to keep that in mind. Maybe he was so good because they hire someone specifically with IT expertise?

Guest FourAces

My current laptop came from Costco two months ago and it was very inexpensive and a great piece of equipment.

My only complaint is that the version of firefox installed has a "zoom" option that's very easy to trigger and I can't figure out how to remove the zoom.

Not sure either but check out Mozilla's site. I would think you could find a way to disable that feature or you can uninstall it and simply download a new version of Firefox.

Guest FourAces

I also check out the on air shopping channels like HSN and QVC. Both offer good deals on computers especially notebooks and about once a month you can find a todays special like the one QVC is having today August 8th only. Plus if you use a debit or credit card you can break the payment up usually over 4 to 6 months no interest. Also both networks have no restocking fees and a 30 day exchange policy. Here is the link to todays special value on QVC HP notebooks 15.6 or 17.3 http://www.qvc.com/cgen/render.aspx?qp=promo|TSV&rewrite=no&CM_SCID=TSV

• Members

Still waiting for a great price on a Toshiba 13 inch for traveling. I am getting such grief for not getting into the Fruit on the Front cult.

I haven't bought and won't buy anything Toshiba since the mid eighties when they were caught selling our classified machining technology to the Soviets for making cavitation-free ultra-quiet submarine propellars.

• Members

I have never gone to a Best Buy and walked out satisfied. The staff seem to go out of their way to ignore me, and when I do grab one of them, they can't get away fast enough. Of course, I probably shouldn't be grabbing them by their balls, but, hey, I want their attention!

My current problem is the nice printer I bought. It had a paper jam, and in clearing it I dislodged a wire. I can't see where the wire connects as it does so underneath something. Best Buy doesn't fix printers, and the shop I called wanted $68 just to look at it. A straight nephew is coming over this afternoon and I intend to challenge his masculinity by daring him to fix it. (Just kidding on the latter part.)

Guest FourAces

Hee Hee- I actually bought the HP 17.3 from Staples! Only difference was mine does not have bluetooth and 320 instead of 500 memory. Mine was $500 after a price match.

WOW You got a awesome deal then!!! Plus the solid customer service experience you mentioned and price matching ... I need to start looking at Staples a little more often when it comes to tech purchases.

320 is more than enough hard drive space, particularly since external drives are cheap and safer anyway.

WOW You got a awesome deal then!!! Plus the solid customer service experience you mentioned and price matching ... I need to start looking at Staples a little more often when it comes to tech purchases.

• Members

I'm really surprised that the treatment by Best Buy salespeople is so universally poor. I have experienced the same thing. Hence I hardly ever shop there.

Regardless of the type of store, it's really beneficial when you find a tech person that can really answer your questions rather then just giving you b.s.

Guest FourAces

House Call!

Just a quick update.The nice(cute nerdy)tech I dealt with is coming over this afternoon for a house call!

WOW - Townie as you know I am from Socal. I'm on my way back right now to buy a laptop at Staples. I don't need one but I think I do need one now that I see he is doing house calls :o Send me the address of the Staples you went to :P