Lucky

Target Stores Doesn't Support Gays

Guest Klair

It's always interesting when a store worries about who is buying from them or the sexual orientation of their employees. Are these people ever going to wake up and realize what year this is?

I only hope whoever comes up with this crap has a lot of children and every one of them turn out to be gay drag queens.

Guest restless

It's always interesting when a store worries about who is buying from them or the sexual orientation of their employees. Are these people ever going to wake up and realize what year this is?

I only hope whoever comes up with this crap has a lot of children and every one of them turn out to be gay drag queens.

You just know at least some of them - the adults who are obsessed with anti-gay bullshit - are so far back in the closet. They always are. They'll get theirs.

• Members

It is my understanding that Target donated to a group named MN forward. A group that is meant to advance business issue candidates. The group gave money to a Republican that is pro business that also has some anti-gay leanings. But the group so far has given money to 3 Democrats and 3 Republicans.

Several other Minnesota businesses also gave money to the group.

Target has apologized for the donation going to the candidate in question. But when ever you donate to any group, whether a business group such as this, a Union, a PAC, etc.. you really never know who your donation will end up supporting.

So now if I'm not supposed to shop at Target or Walmart, where do I shop?

I also understand Target has been a big sponsor of past Gay Pride events. Do you forget about that now?

Guest Klair

If nothing else there's always those country gas stations where they sell the beef jerky, hot sausage sticks, and pickled pigs feet.

• Members

It is my understanding that Target donated to a group named MN forward. A group that is meant to advance business issue candidates. The group gave money to a Republican that is pro business that also has some anti-gay leanings. But the group so far has given money to 3 Democrats and 3 Republicans.

Several other Minnesota businesses also gave money to the group.

Target has apologized for the donation going to the candidate in question. But when ever you donate to any group, whether a business group such as this, a Union, a PAC, etc.. you really never know who your donation will end up supporting.

I also understand Target has been a big sponsor of past Gay Pride events. Do you forget about that now?

I prefer to shop at Target any day as opposed to shopping at WalMart, but since the company has made an apology, I'll accept that. But I'd really like to see it donate the same amount of money to advance the judge's decision which is going beyond the one made on Wednesday of this week!!

• Members

Thanks, Lucky, et al, for the info. I liked Target, but will avoid them in the future. Walmart's having trouble getting a foothold in my area, thank goodness.

I'd prefer buying from a local company, if I could find one. One unhappy bit of fallout from corporate takeover of the economy is that it's harder and harder to know where my widow's mite (many thanks to AdamSmith for that one!) ends up.

I've been buying stuff from Amazon.com, but am not sure what ruinous causes they might be supporting, if any. Apparently, last year's gay book kerfuffle was the work of a lone hacker, rather than a policy decision by Amazon.

Much obliged to anyone who knows the scoop on Amazon.

Guest restless

Much obliged to anyone who knows the scoop on Amazon.

If Amazon winds up being an asshole too, I'll have no idea what the fuck to do.

• Members

If nothing else there's always those country gas stations where they sell the beef jerky, hot sausage sticks, and pickled pigs feet.

Well I actually had to attend a family reunion in the Country on Sunday. So I thought I might actually stockup on a few things and shop at the country store, especially since my uncle owns the place.

But guess what? It's closed on Sunday's!!!! :huh:

Guest zipperzone

Honestly, you don't think Amazon has done to local bookshops exactly what Wal Mart did to local businesses?

I used to be and to some extent still am a big supporter of local book stores.

But..... I buy a lot of books, many of which are art/design books that can cost up to $100.

Most local stores give zero discounts. Some give 10% if you join their membership club & pay a fee for the privilege.

And to add insult to injury, Chapters is now charging you an 5 cent fee if you want a bag to take your purchases home. Just imagine, you have just given them $300 for a bunch of books, it's pouring rain outside, and they expect you to shell out 5 cents per bag to keep your new books dry on the way home. Talk about customer service!

So YES I do use Amazon - a lot. The selection is mind boggling, I get FREE delivery right to my door, AND USUALLY IT IS AT A 37% DISCOUNT.

I feel sorry for the independent book sellers, but they are not living in the 21st century. The world has changed. Just like you don't see many horse & carriages these days either.........

Guest restless

I used to be and to some extent still am a big supporter of local book stores.

But..... I buy a lot of books, many of which are art/design books that can cost up to $100.

Most local stores give zero discounts. Some give 10% if you join their membership club & pay a fee for the privilege.

And to add insult to injury, Chapters is now charging you an 5 cent fee if you want a bag to take your purchases home. Just imagine, you have just given them $300 for a bunch of books, it's pouring rain outside, and they expect you to shell out 5 cents per bag to keep your new books dry on the way home. Talk about customer service!

So YES I do use Amazon - a lot. The selection is mind boggling, I get FREE delivery right to my door, AND USUALLY IT IS AT A 37% DISCOUNT.

I feel sorry for the independent book sellers, but they are not living in the 21st century. The world has changed. Just like you don't see many horse & carriages these days either.........

Maybe I'm a pinko commie at heart, but I think Amazon should do partnerships with local bookstores to keep them in business while providing a physical location for sales and for author readings (which I've become addicted to this summer). The owners retain the right to stock as they see fit, but people coming in with Amazon loyalty cards (available for a one-time buck or even $5 on Amazon) get Amazon rates and instant purchase.

This is what I daydream about while waiting for the market to close.

Guest raulgmanzo

Living in a big city it is relatively easy for me to shop locally for many things. Though, yeah, independent bookstores are few and far between.

But I'm proud that I buy almost all of my groceries from small independent stores and much of what I buy there is grown locally, or produced by small businesses.

If people knew the kind of corruption that Walmart, Target, etc engage in, and the subsidies indirect and direct that they lobby for and receive and the huge external costs to society, then I suspect less people would shop or defend them.

Then can you imagine? There might actually be some local flavor left here and there. Employees might actually have a clue, and the owners and managers might be your neighbors and actually care what happens in the neighborhood.

I wish I could find the link but apparently The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest has caused sales at independent bookstores to skyrocket this summer because people are unwilling to wait two days for Amazon to ship it to them. Also when people go to buy it they also tend to pick up a few of the Larson imitators.

Maybe I'm a pinko commie at heart, but I think Amazon should do partnerships with local bookstores to keep them in business while providing a physical location for sales and for author readings (which I've become addicted to this summer). The owners retain the right to stock as they see fit, but people coming in with Amazon loyalty cards (available for a one-time buck or even $5 on Amazon) get Amazon rates and instant purchase.

This is what I daydream about while waiting for the market to close.

Guest NeedSome

Hello Gentlemen. First post, so be nice! Regarding Target, I remember reading an article in NYT a couple years ago (searched for it, can't find it online) that compared the overall corporate benefits of TGT v WMT and found that WMT actually had a better employee benefits package which overall brought them to a higher level of compensation. I believe that TGT had a higher percentage of part time workers, leading to lower benefits coverage as a percent of total workforce. The striking thing I recall that was WMT provided health care coverage to a far greater share of their workforce than TGT did. I can't remember exact numbers, but it was enough for me to remember it as being significant. For me, the fact that TGT cheats people out of health care benefits by making as many of them part time as possible is another reason not to shop there.

Now, Amazon. Yeah, it's hard not to use them, when they sell everything from books to music to wood flooring to dildos. I've always thought it would be a great idea if the could team up with local bookstores and only offer free shipping to customers if you picked up your purchase at one of the participating stores. That would still get the customer free shipping AND get them into a local bookstore where they are more likely to purchase. I guess they'd need some sort of geographical basis for this - you couldn't really expect Joe Country to drive 50 miles to get to the nearest bookstore.

• Members

I guess they'd need some sort of geographical basis for this - you couldn't really expect Joe Country to drive 50 miles to get to the nearest bookstore.

I live in a metro area of about 1 million and all the local bookstores got bought out by Borders or Barnes and Noble a few years ago, except for one very small store and it's selection is limited. But I still stop there on occasion.

Amazon actually ships from warehouses in my state, employing several hundred people here. They took over warehouses vacated when Foot of the Loom moved production out of the country. I have no idea as to the wages they pay nor their benefits.

Guest zipperzone

I but almost all my books from my neighborhood bookstore.

I just like wandering around the place.

And some of the bookstores, especially in small towns that have a college, have the cutest guys working there.

Bellingham, Washington comes to mind.....