TampaYankee

Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

• Members

Breaking News...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/california.same.sex.ruling/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

(CNN) -- A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker found in his ruling that the ban violated the Constitution's equal protection clause under the 14th Amendment.

The closely watched case came some two years after Californians voted to pass Proposition 8, which defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Neither opponents nor supporters of same-sex marriage said before the ruling that it would likely be the last. Both sides said the decision will be appealed and eventually wind up in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Guest restless

Breaking News...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/california.same.sex.ruling/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

(CNN) -- A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker found in his ruling that the ban violated the Constitution's equal protection clause under the 14th Amendment.

The closely watched case came some two years after Californians voted to pass Proposition 8, which defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Neither opponents nor supporters of same-sex marriage said before the ruling that it would likely be the last. Both sides said the decision will be appealed and eventually wind up in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Shit, didn't see this here, just posted it in the Politics forum.

I'm sitting here grinning, all by myself. Really fucking happy about this.

• Members

Shit, didn't see this here, just posted it in the Politics forum.

For your egregious oversite you will be flogged senseless with a lace ribbon studded with 100 powder puffs (pink). A second infraction will bring forth on your being the ticklish torment of the feathers. :D

Guest twinklover

If you want to read or peruse the district court's well-reasoned 138 page opinion,

here's a link.

http://www.ce9.uscourts.gov/prop8/FF_CL_Final.pdf

The issue of staying the enforcement of the decision hasn't been decided, but I think

there will be a stay until appellate courts hear the case. "Stay" means no more gay marriages in California tomorrow notwithstanding the court's order and Prop.8 will stay in effect until the higher court and highest court decides the case.

But this is a big victory. I predict the district court will be affirmed by the Ninth Circuit and the case will ultimately be decided (if politics does not render it moot) by Justice Kennedy in a 5-4 decision of the Supreme Court affirming the decision. Yes, I'm going out on a limb. Justice Kennedy surprised me when he authored the majority opinion in Lawrence v. Texas and supported overturning an anti-gay-rights statute in an earlier Colorado case. He is no bigot. He may be conservative, very conservative, when it comes to many issues, but he also has a libertarian streak, wishing to expand freedom even in controversial matters, such as gun ownership rights and corporate speech. In short, he is an enlightened man and I hope he will vote to do what is right.

• Members

Mexico's Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that that Mexico City's gay marriage law was constitutional, a ruling called evil by the local cardinal.

From AP:

Cardinal Norberto Rivera sharply criticized Mexico's Supreme Court on Sunday for upholding a law allowing homosexuals to marry in the capital, calling the ruling ''aberrant'' and ''immoral.''

The Roman Catholic archbishop said it was wrong to go against Christian doctrine that recognizes only marriages between a man and a woman.

''The church cannot fail to call evil evil,'' Rivera said in a statement.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court on an 8-2 vote upheld the constitutionality of gay marriages in Mexico City under a law passed by the state legislature. The federal government had sought to nullify the law.

The Federal District is the only part of Mexico that allows gay marriages. The city government said last week that since 320 same-sex couples had married since March, 173 of them male and 147 female.

Rivera said homosexuals have suffered abuses from the broader society, but argued that allowing same-sex marriages is not the way to try to atone for such injustices.

He called same-sex unions ''inherently immoral,'' saying they ''distort the nature of marriage raised by Christ to the dignity of a sacrament.''

How many gays voted against the measure just to keep their bfs from bugging them to get engaged?

While marriage is NOT for me, I would want everyone who has the desire to have the ability to marry. We have come a long way in my lifetime but we still have a long way to go in search of true equality.

Guest Anton

Since society is completely set up to encourage people to make babies so there will be new consumers to keep the economy going we'll never hit true equality - we simply fuck up the economic model.

Sorry BiBottomGuy, but here I have to jump in.

I have a friend who's gay and who has been a di-donor in the past. He recently met one of his biolgical children, a daughter. He's very happy with her and I hear that she's happy with him. I'm convinced that gays would make more babies if society just wouldn't make such a fuzz about gays having children.

I don't think that we fuck up the system. I think the system fucks us up.

Sincerely, Anton.

• Members

Since society is completely set up to encourage people to make babies so there will be new consumers to keep the economy going we'll never hit true equality - we simply fuck up the economic model.

It's much more than that. There is the species survival imperative rooted in the individual survival imperative. Else we would have never banded together for defense, food gathering, etc.