TownsendPLocke

Being the "Confirmed Bachelor Uncle"at a wedding

• Members

I attended my nephews wedding this weekend. I was by myself and pretty much stuck with close family.

I was thrilled when my sister introduced her best friend to family-followed by"and this is his husband...."

Times are changing.Bit by bit,inch by inch.

Some of the male guests were a little"rough"which suited me just fine :rolleyes:

Funny-with all these dance shows on TV that straight white guys still cannot dance to save their souls!

Yes, they are. Thank goodness. My family has always been accepting of me and my boyfriends. I have taken boyfriends home for the holidays for 15 years. Although the older group in the family never use the word boyfriend, they always refer to my lover as "my special friend." That is OK with me as it is a step in the right direction. And, the ladies are now over 70 years old. I am thankful that they are accepting of my life and welcome me home with open arms.

I love that things change, even if bit by bit. It wasn't too long ago in my home town where gay men were burned in their home for being open about being gay. Now, when I wear my rainbow bracelet I get many people saying, "I love your bracelet. I have one too."

I am glad your family wedding was a good experience for you.

• Members

I attended my nephews wedding this weekend. I was by myself and pretty much stuck with close family.

I was thrilled when my sister introduced her best friend to family-followed by"and this is his husband...."

Some of the male guests were a little"rough"which suited me just fine :rolleyes:

Funny-with all these dance shows on TV that straight white guys still cannot dance to save their souls!

BGP! Welcome to the renaissance! I was fervently hoping you'd pop back up and help us make it last!

Guest CharliePS

My partner and I recently attended his nephew's wedding in Texas, along with my partner's brother and his male partner. The bride's father is a conservative Republican Dallas businessman, and we didn't know quite what kind of reception to expect. In fact, absolutely no one in the family or among the guests batted an eye when introduced to the groom's uncles and uncles' partners. (I wonder if some of them were warned ahead of time.) The groom's family, of course, had been accustomed to this situation for years (I've known the groom's retired father since he was a teenager), and their friends and neighbors obviously knew all about us, but the bride's elderly relations seemed just as comfortable with it. The young couple's friends seemed to take gay couples for granted.

The groomsmen included a Latino, an African-American and an Indian, and there were a few mixed race young couples. I wonder if the breakdown of other taboos in upper-middle-class society has made it easier for people to adjust to one more unusual coupling.

Guest restless

This might sound weird, but several years ago attitudes in my family changed - and I credit it with Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. My whole family watched that show, and thought it was great. Somehow it changed something. I can't explain how. But I do know that the nagging questions have become more jokey and less pointed. Does that make any sense at all?

Guest restless

Yes it does.I think it will get better with each passing year as more "everyday"Gays are put on TV.

Of course this makes those who hate/fear even more nervous and thus the reaction from the nutjobs will be more intense also

There's nothing to be done about the overly fearful and the nutjobs, though. But for all those people who just plain didn't know anything about gays, I think it's making a dent.