Lucky

Which Women Do You Admire?

• Members

We don''t often focus on women, so I have been trying to think of which women I admire. For sure Eleanor Roosevelt makes the list. My mom and my sisters do too.

But, what about modern women? With 24 hour cable, do we know too much about them to admire them?

I can say that I admire Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Supreme Court Justice, and I also admire Joan Rivers. If I had to push it I would add Ellen DeGeneres. But that's all that come to mind.

Rightfully, Hillary Clinton should be up there, but she toed the line for Bill too much to win my respect.

Guest CharliePS

Billie Jean King. Mother Teresa. And my Aunt Grace, who taught elementary school, supporting her parents, until she was 49; then she married a banker, retired, and lived to 100. It would be nice to somehow combine each of their strengths and virtues into a single role model.

• Members

Judith Arlene Resnik. By all rights she probably would have been America's first woman in space except that she detested interviews and publicity. She became the second American woman in space and would later die onboard the Challenger in 1986.

Judy_Resnik_STS-41-D.jpg

• Members

Of course, Mother Theresa and many others are most worthy and deserve mention. I could easily think of tens, hundreds, probably even thousands if I had the time and perspicacity. I will focus on a few, who may not even be the greatest but immeidately come to mind.

First my mother, who endured a difficult life yet managed to raise two boys who became quite successful according to the standards of her generation. She taught me what endurance and strength-of-will meant.

Second, Joan of Arc for the unbridled charisma that girl must have possessed to achieve here place in history as she did.

Third, Opra. I'm not a big fan or a detractor but I knew of Opra before she was Opra. She was an obscure news reader in Baltimore in the mid seventies when I lived in the area. Nothing in her public presence then showed the potential for what she was to become. In that rise to fame I think she has been a positive inspiration to thousands of women of varying circumstances. I mention because I actually saw what she was and where she has come mostly on the strength of her own will.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I would say my mother..She was born to a poor family in the back woods of Arkansas. She raised six children basically on her own, two of us being gay men... She endured the death of one of her sons (my gay brother). She stayed with him for the last two months as he succumbed to AIDS. She attended MCC services with him, went to AIDS support groups with him. Later, when a lesbian friend of my (straight) sister asked my mom how it was that she was able to accept her two gay sons while her own mother could not accept her for being lesbian, my mom simply answered, God made them, God put them here, who am I to question God..

I wish more gay youth could have a parent with the love and compassion my mother had..

Guest FourAces

What a cool topic.

When looking at the public arena in no specific order I admire Tina Turner for her strength and courage in starting her life over ... she walked away from Ike with not a penny. Hillary Clinton has always captured my attention what went on behind the scenes between her and Bill is really their business. As a public person and a politician she is more on target than not. Rosa Parks without doubt is also at the top of my list. She helped break down a barrier or two when it came to race relations in the states. Lady Di broke down that fourth wall between the people and the monarchy. She kept many important causes in the spotlight. A woman who did not play by the old boys rules was Amelia Earhart. She took risks when it was not fashionable for women to do that.

I'm sure I have left out others. But these are the ones that come to mind. The ones that brought encouragement, made a difference or touched us all in one way or another.

Guest zipperzone

Third, Opra. I'm not a big fan or a detractor but I knew of Opra before she was Opra. She was an obscure news reader in Baltimore in the mid seventies when I lived in the area. Nothing in her public presence then showed the potential for what she was to become. In that rise to fame I think she has been a positive inspiration to thousands of women of varying circumstances. I mention because I actually saw what she was and where she has come mostly on the strength of her own will.

I'm not posting this to belittle your choice of Oprah. We all have our favourites and opinions will always differ.

I recently read the book "Oprah" by Kitty Kelley. She presents many interesting facets of Oprah's life.

One cannot dispute the astronomical financial success the woman has achieved. She must be very smart and/or have good advisors.

My problem with her is her habit of stretching the truth to suit her own purpose and in many instances downright lying. The book has too many examples to even begin quoting. Some will claim that Kitty Kelly is not a biographer to be taken at face value. She seems to love to dig up all the dirt about her subjects. But in her defence I must point out that she has never been sued, so that alone, for me, speaks to her accuracy.

Something that irked me at the time was the show where Oprah had an audience totally comprised of needy women. She was going to give away a Pontiac and told them to reach under their seats, one of which would have the keys to the new car. As we all know, every seat had a set of keys and they all ended up with the gift of a new car. Great story...... the recipients really needed the transportation. For days Oprah was praised for her generosity for giving away dozens (I think it was over 100) of cars. In actual fact, it was General Motors who had donated the cars and Oprah's show was simply the vehicle (no pun intended) for the giveaway.

Another interesting story that illustrates the monumental ego of the woman is as follows. She has her own private jet. This is kept in a dedicated hanger reserved for her jet only. Like most aviation environments there is always a smell of fuel, oil etc. Oprah hates this smell. So hanger staff have standing instructions that when her plane lands, if she is on board, the ground crew must be making hot buttered popcorn so as that is all she can smell as she walks the 300 feet from the plane to the exit door. Personally I think she has lost it.

And who does she think she is kidding with the "companion" Stedman Graham who is used as an excuse of why she never married? And all the time it's her female friend Gayle King she spends most of her time with.

My apologies to Tampa Yankee. I really don't mean to knock you choice, I just had to get that off my chest.

And please feel free to knock my choice of women I admire - I vote for Hilary Clinton (who should have been your president (thanks Oprah for that one!)

and - I'm sure this will make some groan - Barbra Walters.

Guest restless

I read Katherine Graham's autobiography and was blown away. I didn't know her husband killed himself. She worked for every ounce of respect she got, even though she could have floated on through. Really impressive woman.

Guest restless

Chealsea Clinton. Been in the public eye since she was 11 and never managed to embarrass her family once.

Yeah, she seems like she's got her head on straight.