Lucky

Ellen DeGeneres Quits American Idol

• Members

Lesbian star Ellen deGeneres, the newest judge on the popular show American Idol resigned today, with 4 years left on her contract. The resignation, effective immediately, had apparently been known to Fox for several weeks as DeGeneres did not like hurting the feelings of the young singers appearing on the show.

Ms. DeGeneres said in a statement that she informed Fox “a couple months ago” that the show “didn’t feel like the right fit for me.”

The idea of a person resigning a job shortly after they took it because they learned that it wasn't a right fit for them is a shocking novelty. Should Fox have forced her to stay on the show? Should they have banned her from the show for this resignation before her contract expired?

Read more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/arts/television/30ellen.html?hp

Guest lurkerspeaks

I was reading elsewhere that they were going to get rid of all the judges, and start fresh.. Also heard that Elton John and Justin Timberlake were both being considered, and as the third judge to go with those two, the return of Paula Abdul.... Only time, or some insider information.. will tell.

But I don't watch the show anyway and really never cared who they got.

Ditto. The amount of the world's electricity supply we have used just discussing it here is more than the topic is worth.

Snob, sure. But 3 minutes of that show makes my head hurt.

And I love crap culture.

• Members

I was reading elsewhere that they were going to get rid of all the judges, and start fresh.. Also heard that Elton John and Justin Timberlake were both being considered, and as the third judge to go with those two, the return of Paula Abdul.... Only time, or some insider information.. will tell.

Here is the rumor from MSN about the judges changes.

http://tv.msn.com/reality-tv/kara-dioguardi-out-american-idol/story/?Gt1=28103

I lost interest in the show after Paula left and did not watch a single show last year.

• Members

...and now Kara has reportedly been fired. She is one judge I never warmed up to...

From NY Post:

Kara DioGuardi has been fired from "American Idol," sources tell TMZ, continuing a show shakeup that began this afternoon when Ellen DeGeneres resigned from her job as a judge on the popular singing contest.

DioGuardi is not under contract for next season and Fox has yet to announce whether she'll return. But, TMZ claims the show is returning to a three-judge format consisting of Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, who is reportedly close to a deal, and Steven Tyler, who's rumored to take Simon Cowell's spot.

According to TMZ, the only way DioGuardi could stay with the show is if the J.Lo deal falls apart, which is unlikely.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/kara_dioguardi_out_at_american_idol_NkNsAJCf6YbZZLHQBE7MCJ#ixzz0vDUoUl5y

I don't really get why they are having all this shake up. And, if Simon knew all this was coming, does this not cut into his millions if they ratings sink?

I liked Ellen on the show and she was able to help lots of the other contestants who didn't win by being on her show. Ellen is amazing and is great at anything she does. I did think she at times felt uncomfortable on the show but I forgave it as first year jitters.