Lucky

Theater at the Old Globe

• Members

Two Neil Simon plays will be shown in repertoire to start off the fall season at San Diego's Old Globe theater. Broadway Bound and Brighton Beach Memoirs were supposed to have kicked off the New york fall season last year, with "it" director David Cromer directing, but low ticket sales caused an early demise of Brighton and a full closure of Broadway Bound.

Cromer does not direct the San Diego productions, so I assume that they will be the traditional productions, rather than the ones he had revised to suit his directing skills.

Also playing is Death of A Salesman, the Henry Miller classic. Since tickets for individual shows do not go on sale until about 4 weeks before the show starts, I was able to get seats now by buying a package of four shows. To the above 3, I added Life of Riley, an Alan Ayckbourn comedy a dying man plotting his farewells to his 4 best friends, and in turn, they each deal with his impending death in surprising ways.

Also on the bill, for any West Coast posters who might like to go, are: Emma, Rafta, Rafta, Dr. Seuss and the Grinch, August:Osage County, and The Winter's Tale.

Guest FourAces

As someone who grew up in San Diego I can say without question the Old Globe is an awesome theater. The only drawback are those damn planes on landing approach ... but the actors and audience seem to get past their din every time.

• Members

You make a good point. When one is back to the days of Shakespeare and a plane flies overhead, well, it's a reminder that the fourth wall isn't real. But, if we can suspend belief in other matters we can do it here as well, can't we?

In Manhattan sirens often intrude upon the theater, so it is just modern life, take it or leave it!

Guest restless

You make a good point. When one is back to the days of Shakespeare and a plane flies overhead, well, it's a reminder that the fourth wall isn't real. But, if we can suspend belief in other matters we can do it here as well, can't we?

In Manhattan sirens often intrude upon the theater, so it is just modern life, take it or leave it!

Or the subway rumbling underneath the seats. Years I went to a show with a guy from Los Angeles, and he thought it was an earthquake. I laugh every time I think of him going pale and grabbing my arm in a total panic.

• Members

tomcal, I would have loved to see the Broadway Bares show live, but it was not to be. Maybe Totally Oz can get those Tight End dancers to do a special show for MER members? It sure isn't going to happen at the Old Globe!