JKane

Opinions on Inception??

• Members

I fucking loved Inception! It had so much more depth than Hollywood's expected out of an audience in damn near forever! Really glad it made 60m this weekend, hope the take doesn't fall off a cliff now.

About two thirds in, it occurred to me it was a lot like What Dreams May Come, but on a path to have the correct ending to that movie (the ending where they both get 'stuck' forever) instead of the bullshit saccharin Hollywood test group one...

And while there's a slight bit of doubt, that's the ending I'm convinced of for Inception. Sure, the top wobbled slightly... after being spun awkwardly yet spinning for longer then it was ever shown before toppling in the real world. The kids were the exact same as he remembered them, same age, same clothes.

After she stabbed him I think he died and fell into dreaming the best possible outcome, which is what we were shown. But what really happened was two vegetables arrived in LA, (DiCaprio and Wantanabe), DiCaprio was taken into custody and spends the rest of his life in a prison hospital. The inception may or may not have worked.

Too bleak?

I loved that I couldn't find any major flaws or inconsistencies, until I found one, I think: When did DiCaprio and Wife grow old together? He tells her about it, we're shown them old, in 'their city'. BUT they're young when they die on the train tracks!

Otherwise, most thoughtful movie I've seen in quite a while.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I saw the movie yesterday.. I loved it as well. It had great plot, great effects, really good acting...It does make you think as the layers of dreams get deeper and deeper.. My one gripe is the ending.. It doesn't really give you an answer of "is it or isn't it".. It leaves you to your own opinion..

On another movie note, the sequel to Paranormal Activity is coming out a week before Halloween..Lets see if it is even half as scary as the first one..

• Members

I saw the movie yesterday.. I loved it as well. It had great plot, great effects, really good acting...It does make you think as the layers of dreams get deeper and deeper.. My one gripe is the ending.. It doesn't really give you an answer of "is it or isn't it".. It leaves you to your own opinion..

On another movie note, the sequel to Paranormal Activity is coming out a week before Halloween..Lets see if it is even half as scary as the first one..

I chose to think it was answered, for the reasons mentioned above...

But now that more have seen it and are participating, anybody else have opinions on it?

I'd like to see it again on an Imax screen, maybe this weekend.

• Members

I just saw it.

It's Memento plus The Matrix plus James Bond settings.

Personally I think the top will fall over, but that's very debatable.

For me, I really liked the film right up until the ending.

And, yeah, the train track scene is a major glaring error.

There is a school of thought that purports to account for growing old together/young on train tracks... I did notice two sets of actors for the children in the credits, but they looked the same and in the same clothes, to me. Will have to see again soon.

Also, there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY69-AgUmDQ&feature=player_embedded

Guest restless

I loved that I couldn't find any major flaws or inconsistencies, until I found one, I think: When did DiCaprio and Wife grow old together? He tells her about it, we're shown them old, in 'their city'. BUT they're young when they die on the train tracks!

I think we saw them as young because it's how he reinvented that memory - we only see them old on the tracks when he's telling the truth to the girl.

Guest restless

The LA Times today has an article on Inception, the thrust of which is that the older you are, the more confused you'd be watching the film.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2010/08/why-is-it-that-the-older-you-are-the-more-you-cant-stand-inception-.html

Yeah. I was visiting my dad and took him - he said he had fun, but we had no idea what was going on. Then we stopped by the house of a friend of his, about the same age, and he had no idea, either.

• Members

I think we saw them as young because it's how he reinvented that memory - we only see them old on the tracks when he's telling the truth to the girl.

I don't think they were on the tracks. They were walking hand-in-hand old is my recollection.