TotallyOz

Obama names Kagan as Supreme Court nominee

• Members

I think a great choice! I hope this goes smooth. ;)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/10/scotus.kagan/index.html?hpt=T1

This is why is was so important to have a Democratic President win the last election. Health Care was an important second reason even if it turned out to be a compromised start -- but a start nevertheless.

McCain would have screwed up the SCOTUS for a generation. We would have truly been fucked over. Not to mention we would be in very bad Depression right now. Probably better for the Democratic Party but definitely much worse for the country.

I look forward to a third justice appointment next year, hopefully more in the vein of Justice Stevens.

Guest Conway

An awful lot has happened since Kagan was nominated as both much of the left and much of the right now seem opposed to her as they have each seen her positions, especially as a Clinton advisor.

IMO, trading Stevens for Kagan will have little to no effect on the makeup of the court. It will likely have the same makeup that it currently does with Stevens.

• Members

An awful lot has happened since Kagan was nominated as both much of the left and much of the right now seem opposed to her as they have each seen her positions, especially as a Clinton advisor.

IMO, trading Stevens for Kagan will have little to no effect on the makeup of the court. It will likely have the same makeup that it currently does with Stevens.

Time will tell. I hope so. I've come to the conclusion that hope for the working man and the middle class lies more in the SCOTUS and in Congress or the Executive Branch.

SCOTUS is not permitted the luxury of accepting legal bribes. Congress legally sells itself cheaply to the BIG MONEY Special Interests. The Executive is at best hamstrung by a compromised Congress and at worst leads the sell out of the Congress. The recent ineffectual Finance Reform Bill is just the latest example.