TampaYankee

Gays in China Turn to Marriages of Convenience

• Members

Amid family pressures, gays in China turn to marriages of convenience

In China, where homosexuality remains taboo, many gays enter marriages of convenience to satisfy family pressure to wed and have children. While they act like a couple in front of their families, many don't live together.

In China, where homosexuality remains taboo, many gays enter marriages of convenience to satisfy family pressure to wed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/14/gays-in-china-turn-to-mar_n_537839.html

• Members

"Marriage of convenience is a lie,” he sighs. “But I will spend my entire life to make this lie work.”

Not so very different from the lives of many closeted Gays in America. Beats the madness going on now in Africa.

Thanks for the post, TY. I read another article on this last week but this one gave much more insight.

• Members

Marriages of convenience, or sometimes of decided inconvenience, are still happening in the West as well, particularly amongst certain ethnic communities. I had a client in London, a young man of Indian descent, 100% gay, who was forced into an arranged marriage with a woman who had been brought over from India for the purpose. Needless to say, the marriage was never consummated, the marriage broke down within weeks, and divorce ensued. He now feels he has a few years respite before he will be pressured to marry again. I have heard of a few others in his situation in the UK South Asian community, but on the other hand you can go to Birmingham Pride and see hundreds of out gay South Asians.