Guest noy9000

Education options for the Thai BF

Guest noy9000

I'm wondering if anyone has experience (or information) getting their BF to school, mine is lowly educated (to Primary 6, which means not even Matthayom 1).

He can't even enrol into AUA.

Guest JoeM

I'm wondering if anyone has experience (or information) getting their BF to school, mine is lowly educated (to Primary 6, which means not even Matthayom 1).

He can't even enrol into AUA.

Just enrolled a friend in a local school. He is at Matthayom 4. He has a burning desire to go to school and get a better education, so he made all the contacts and arrangements. He is loving everyday of school.

The school was able to layout the whole process and work to get him started.

Guest noy9000

Just enrolled a friend in a local school. He is at Matthayom 4. He has a burning desire to go to school and get a better education, so he made all the contacts and arrangements. He is loving everyday of school.

The school was able to layout the whole process and work to get him started.

I guess it's easy for most Thais with Matthayom 3, but mine don't even have Matthayom 1. <_< Big problem if he stays with me, wondering whole day - doing nothing.

It'll look funny for a 24 yr old inside a Hi-school. I'm considering private, and something practical.

It'll look funny for a 24 yr old inside a Hi-school. I'm considering private, and something practical.

I don't think so. Although he may be one of the older kids, he very well might not be the oldest. Many Thai kids, 9-13 years old, are actually encouraged to leave school so they can work full time in the family business (rice farming, restaurant, or whatever). And a fair number of these kids, once they get to be 18 or 19, decide to go back and finish high school so they can qualify for a better job (I'm told that most employers won't even talk to them if they don't have the high school diploma).

My Chiangmai bf of 6 years was 13 when he quit school to work in the family (an aunt's) restaurant business near Chiangrai. At 19, he moved to Chiangmai, and on his own began high school (which he finished at age 23). He's now started his fourth year in college (Payap Technological). His confidence level and self-image have improved immeasurably (and, in the future, hopefully his job opportunities will also dramatically improve).

Presuming he wants to finish school, your friend will likely have many options including attending only in the evenings and/or only on the weekends. If he's serious about wanting to do it, I hope you're able to help him achieve it. Good luck as it takes a long while.

Guest laurence

I know that "private" schooling is now available in Pattaya for older students.

At one time there was a Wat (Maybe Wat Po) on Second Rd, on the left, in the vicinity of Big C or beyond. The program is directed to students who have not completed their education at the lower levels. As I understand this program is a fast track type education which can be completed much faster than the traditional program. Sorry I do not have more specific information but maybe you can do some research.

To me, the question is not whether a school is available, but whether he wants to go. Is continuing his education his idea or yours? If it is his idea, then I would suggest letting him be the one to seek out where he can go. He'll be able to find the right school without much trouble and he won't need your help to find it.

On the other hand, if going back to school is your idea, and not his, and if he has shown any reluctance, then you're wasting your time and efforts. In nearly every case I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty, a well-intentioned "farang" trying to get a boy to go to school, if the boy doesn't really want to go, is an exercise in futility. In most cases the boy will actually attend a few classes. When it begins to get difficult he'll quit. I've even seen cases in which the "farang" pays the school, returns to his home country, and the boy manages to get a refund from the school, pocket the money, and then quits.

It's a sad situation. I'm sorry to be negative about it, but over the years I've seen too much to be able to be anything else. We all know the value of a good education, but try to convince a reluctant Thai boy. I have yet to ever see a reluctant Thai boy complete even one course. An education has to be something he truly wants, not something a "farang" is trying to force on him.

I don't know whether your boyfriend wants to further his education or not. You didn't say. If he is the one asking for help to go to school, then I would be in favor of doing everything you can to help him do it. If you are the one trying to get him to go, then my advice would be to forget it.

Guest laurence

Noy, I don't think you should wait for your Thai friend to take the initiative to seek out a school. You are his mentor and should seek the information on schooling and present options to him. For someone who does not have much education as a youth the thought of returning to school can be scary.

Encouragement from you is essential. The cost of education is minimal and the rewards are significant.

On the other hand, if going back to school is your idea, and not his, and if he has shown any reluctance, then you're wasting your time and efforts.

Excellent advice in my opinion. Unless the boy is himself motivated, you're heading for a financial and personal disaster in my opinion.

If he truly wants to continue his education, I also agree with GB that he is much better able to find out what's available than the falang would be. And, if he's reluctant to go find out or he really can't explain what's available, it's more than likely that he really doesn't care that much to go back to school.

The same comments would apply to a boy the same age in your home country. If the motivation isn't really there, it's a waste to throw money toward non-compulsory education for anybody.