TotallyOz

Happy Thanksgiving

• Members

Happy Turkey Day to all. I have been very blessed in life but many of them are the people I have from this board.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Ditto for me.

For the first time I'm going to try a brine on my turkey this year. Tried a brine on a pork roast last week and it really came out well. Some of these TV chefs really swear by brining. We'll see. :huh:

To OZ, TY, Barry, and all who regularly contribute to this site, have a very Happy Thanksgiving and I hope our paths will cross again soon... It was a perfect day here in NYC for the Macy's Parade, good time had by all.

Coop

• Members

Ditto for me.

For the first time I'm going to try a brine on my turkey this year. Tried a brine on a pork roast last week and it really came out well. Some of these TV chefs really swear by brining. We'll see. :huh:

So how did your brined turkey turn out? Assuming it was good, what was your recipe?

• Members

I would also like to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving. This day always makes me reflect on the many things I should be thankful for and to wish for better times for those less fortunate than me.

I am glad Lincoln set aside a day for us in this country to stop and give thanks. Just as in his time, we should be thankful that things are as well with us as they are.

Again Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Members

To OZ, TY, Barry, and all who regularly contribute to this site, have a very Happy Thanksgiving and I hope our paths will cross again soon... It was a perfect day here in NYC for the Macy's Parade, good time had by all.

Coop

Thanks Coop. Hope you had a nice holiday. I too look forward to our next get-together. Fond memories of the last one.

• Members

So how did your brined turkey turn out? Assuming it was good, what was your recipe?

Had it Friday when the family could gather. It came out great -- unusually moist and tender. The drippings are too salty to use directly for gravy but good in small amounts for flavoring standard stock or broth. Tasty straight in very small amounts. The bird was fine. No extra salt needed at the table but not salty. Will do it again. Definitely worth the effort IMO.

2 gal water

1 cup kosher salt

1 cup brown sugar

2 lemons

4-6 sprigs sage

4-6 sprigs tyme

4 springs rosemary

Remove neck and giblets, wash turkey inside and out, use a suitable container and let it swim in the deep end 12 hours outside on my screen porch in the 40s. I used a very large food bag, removed excess air and stored in a canning pot over night. Turn over after half way through if not completely submerged. Pat dry before roasting. Cook according to your package directions or your favorite specifics

Brine can be extended if necessary by adding 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 half cup sugar to a gallon of water.