Guest StuCotts

The cookie diet!?

“If you can make it through the first week you’re in the clear,”

The same could pretty much be said for any "diet". Cut back your sugar and carb intake and you achieve the same results (without spending $54 a week on cookies).

Guest ryan2552

Sounds to me like one more instance of snake oil for the compulsive dieter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/fashion/22Skin.html?_r=1

Whenever you restrict intake weight will be lost.

If people would just eat small portions and use common sense many overweight would begin to lose those pounds in reasonable time frame.

I think I'm going to write a book called the french fry diet and for those with less to lose the french fry diet with ketchup :o

Guest StuCotts

It reminds me of the TV ads for overpriced diet products that add on a line saying that if you use their product and eat sensibly you'll get results. If you eat sensibly, they can keep their product.

If you eat sensibly, they can keep their product.

Not to be too inverse-jingoistic, but we Amurricans eat ridiculously. A Dutch business acquaintance brought his family to the States a few years back. One day we sent his two teenage sons to the deli up the street to buy sandwiches for lunch. They came back with a bulging bag of food, and looks of disbelief on their faces. They declared that each one of those sandwiches could easily be a meal for three people.

Somebody wrote a book a couple years back on why French women are thin, with much the same thesis. Reasonable meal portions, plus using the feet instead of the internal combustion engine every now and again.

If you eat sensibly, they can keep their product.

Not to be too inverse-jingoistic, but we Amurricans eat ridiculously. A Dutch business acquaintance brought his family to the States a few years back. One day we sent his two teenage sons to the deli up the street to buy sandwiches for lunch. They came back with a bulging bag of food, and looks of disbelief on their faces. They declared that each one of those sandwiches could easily be a meal for three people.

Somebody wrote a book a couple years back on why French women are thin, with much the same thesis. Reasonable meal portions, plus using the feet instead of the internal combustion engine every now and again.

Guest StuCotts

Not to be too inverse-jingoistic, but we Amurricans eat ridiculously.

Speaking of which, two of us were recently having lunch in the buffet restaurant at the Borgata in Atlantic City. From our seats we had an unrestricted view of the food area.

The customers included a sizeable contingent of overweights, ranging from fat to morbidly obese. As we watched, making small talk and avoiding direct comment, which would only have been inadequate, they dragged their tonnage to the food tables multiple times and lumbered back with exorbitantly heaped-up plates, faces set in an expression that fits my definition of lustful. The dessert scene was an absurdity. The cumulative effect was macabre.

They probably all think of themselves as big-boned.

On a more positive note, the place lays on a great buffet at prices that are, by my parochial NY-based standard, out-and-out cheap.