TotallyOz

The 10 Best Retirement Havens

We found spots offering good health care, culture and affordability.

Forbes cannot promise retirees "paradise on $30 a day." Quite the opposite. We promise seniors wishing to move out of the U.S. that they will not find paradise anywhere. Each country is unique--with assets and liabilities--and the key to successful retirement as an ex-pat is carefully matching your own personal priorities and finances to the country that has caught your eye.

To help matters along, Forbes has compiled its own list of the 10 best retirement havens, based on a wide variety of criteria ranging from safety to retiree-friendly visa requirements to decent medical care. The countries on our hit list: Austria, Thailand, Italy, Panama, Ireland, Australia, France, Malaysia, Spain and Canada.

No place is perfect. Some countries rank high in one area but lower in others. Australia is by one well-regarded rating, the Country Brand Index, the most livable place in the world. (For the Country Brand and other rankings, see "Retire At Home Or Abroad?")But if you plan to return to the U.S. frequently, Australia makes for a long slog. Canada is No. 2 in the Country Brand ratings and certainly convenient for Americans, but its harsh winters are well-known. Italy scores high on quality of life, medical care, and even cost of living and climate for retirees residing in the Southern parts of the country. But its complicated taxes and bureaucracy require patience.

So, the key to any decision: Know yourself and do your homework.

For the full article:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/15/ten-best-retirement-havens-personal-finance-retire-abroad.html

• Members

I've always wanted to visit Ozzieland. Haven't made it yet. Not sure about long term residence although I suspect it would be one of the easier cultural transitions.

Thailand has obvious attraction not the least of which is the cost of living including very affordable medical and dental. On the downside is the climate. I have an aversion to heat and heavy humidity. :blink:

I absolutely adore Canada and often think about relocating there. I'm put off by the winters though, except for Vancouver where the year round humity overly curls my locks. ^_^ Other than that the West End is a lovely place.

Montreal has a special place in my heart for the open acceptance they extend to the Gay community and to visitors as well. I am put off somewhat by total lack of command of the French language. While not essential, it does make a non-French-speaking resident first cousin to a duck with one broken wing. :o You can still swim around but you cannot soar without bound. :(

All the other locales would make for an excellent visit but not so much as a retirement haven for me.

Guest StuCotts

I wonder why Mexico didn't make the cut. I have nothing but beautiful memories of the time I lived there: spectacular natural beauty; wonderful, generous people; lots of fascinating culture; enormous variety of locales; the good life at affordable prices, ideally located for those who want some exoticism but don't want to be inconveniently far from home territory. Not to sound too starry-eyed, I also realize that some negatives have appeared that weren't there when I was. For instance, I'm not sure I'd feel as safe as I used to taking a driving vacation from Mexico City to Oaxaca or Chiapas. Still...

My prime choice for retirement is, probably to nobody's surprise, New York City. As many places as I've lived in or visited, I never seriously considered ending up anywhere but here. I hasten to specify that I don't want to move to a uniformly warm climate or care if I ever see a beach again. As my work occupies less and less of my life, I want to be in the place where I never have an idle moment unless I want one. And if I want to spend some time elsewhere, there's no such thing as a place that I can't get to from here.

I don't feel like going into all the positives the city offers. People know about them. I also won't list the potential negatives. There are those who have encyclopedic tirades to proffer on that subject.

In short, I'm here because I like it here.

• Members

I wonder why Mexico didn't make the cut.

Try beheadings, assinations of police, army and politicians, tourist kidnappings for a few reasons. Even the State Department has a travel advisory posted. Other than that I'm told the beaches are nice and prescriptions drugs are available freely, under the counter.

I have nothing but beautiful memories of the time I lived there:...

As is sometimes the case, the good old days are in the past. :(

My prime choice for retirement is, probably to nobody's surprise, New York City. As many places as I've lived in or visited, I never seriously considered ending up anywhere but here.

I love you New York, specifically Manhattan. I considered moving there not so many years ago. However, I recgnized that NYC is a nice place to live only if you have the money too afford a decent (not extravagant) lifestyle in the city. I didn't see making that cut that in my future. Taxes and the cost of living are just too steep for many.

Guest StuCotts

ame='StuCotts' date='16 October 2009 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1255704224' post='20870']

I wonder why Mexico didn't make the cut.

I love you New York, specifically Manhattan. I considered moving there not so many years ago. However, I recgnized that NYC is a nice place to live only if you have the money too afford a decent (not extravagant) lifestyle in the city. I didn't see making that cut that in my future. Taxes and the cost of living are just too steep for many.

So much for the Mexico I recall. One more thing that doesn't bear thinking of except in the past tense. In fact I'm aware of all the present things you mention, but they're not what comes to mind.

You're right about the city. The cost of living space alone is enough to turn lots of people off the idea of settling here. I'm fortunate in having a comfortable rental apartment that I've been in forever. I had the unusual, for me, presence of mind to keep paying rent on it and never give it up all those years when I was seldom here. Given that the roof over my head doesn't leave me penniless, I can pick and choose from all the rest of what's here and lead that decent life you mention.