MsGuy

"The Sandbox" milblog

• Members

If you would like a more granular view of the reality behind the 750 word opinion columns, 10 inch news pieces and 3 1/2 minute tv news stories, I highly recommend The Sandbox, a milblog (military blog) that provides a safe space for active duty Americans to report their experiences and reflections from Iraq and Afganistan. Not partisan/ not political/ not censored & not sponsored by the Pentagon, I find it offers valuable insights into the realities of American operations in this theater that can't be found on cable news. Some of the posts are funny, some are sad, almost all are well written and insightful. If Ernie Pyle were still around, he would be posting in The Sandbox.

Read some of the posts and comment here if you're so moved. On the other site I felt it necessary to ask the guys to show some respect for our troops and not turn the thread into a liberal/conservative shit fest, but surely that would be superfluous for the gentlemen over here. ;)

The Sandbox

TRY:

Old Blue's post of 8/31 for exasperated humor

K's post of 8/25 & Capt Tupper's post of 8/14 for insights into working with the ANA (Afgan National Army)

Dr. Father Tim's post of 8/7 for how the Army's new policy on PTSD is working out on the ground

Teflon Don's post of 8/3 for how well we are doing by our "wounded warriors" I teared up reading this one. Any of you who have a friend who came back damaged from Nam will be saddened by what happened to Teflon Don's buddy.

Fair Warning: These are posts written by military folks and some are loaded with military slang that can be difficult to decipher. Hey, that's why google was invented! :P