TotallyOz

Did Burma's Junta soften its stance?

The sentence of Aung San Suu Kyi to house arrest was not a surprise to anyone. The military commanders could have sentenced her to 5 years of prison. They did not. Some have suggested that this is a softer tone to what could have been a hard prison term. I disagree. I thought this is exactly what they would do. Having been to Burma many times, I can tell you that the people there are wonderful! I hope that soon they will get out of the hands of these military leaders and be allowed to interact with the world.

I am disappointed that Thailand did not condemn the ruling as so many other leaders have done. The Thai government has more influence there than anyone other than China.

• Members
The sentence of Aung San Suu Kyi to house arrest was not a surprise to anyone. The military commanders could have sentenced her to 5 years of prison. They did not. Some have suggested that this is a softer tone to what could have been a hard prison term. I disagree. I thought this is exactly what they would do. Having been to Burma many times, I can tell you that the people there are wonderful! I hope that soon they will get out of the hands of these military leaders and be allowed to interact with the world.

I am disappointed that Thailand did not condemn the ruling as so many other leaders have done. The Thai government has more influence there than anyone other than China.

Ditto on everything.