TownsendPLocke

New York-Battery Park?

• Members
Have an option to stay for five nights at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park.

Other choice is the Marriott Marquis Times Square.

I have never spent much time around the seaport-other than going to the top of the now gone WTC .

Any opinions?TIA

No experience with the Battery Ritz. I suspect Battery Park is pretty dead at night in comparison to Times Square. If you are bringing your own entertainment that might not matter. ;)

In the past downtown hotels gave a price break during weekends for being out of the action. If not then my preference was always to opt for the TS action.

Six years ago, when it was pretty new, Ritz Battery Park was a very nice property. Have not stayed there since.

Not much to do down there at night, though. If your amusements are in other parts of the city, expect to spend a lot of time in taxis. But as TY says, if you plan to import your entertainment and have it with you full-time, who cares?

Guest EXPAT

Nice property and very quiet at night. But far away from most things you will enjoy. They good thing is that everything is easily reached with the subway or cab.

I'm going in September for 10 days and got a great rate at the Starwoods Four Point (new) on W 25th street.

• Members

I might stay one night at that property(4pts Port Authority-yes I know they call it Times Square)on my arrival night.

I don't think I could do ten nights in a Four Points :lol: I don't think I could do 10 nights in ANY hotel I was paying for(all of those lovely bonus points gone missing)I do like to bounce around when not on an award stay.

I will also be staying in HOBOKEN! at the great looking new W.

I have one more night to figure out.It might be back to the Four Points Port Authority!

• Members

Ritz Battery - great modernesque hotel, not your typical Ritz for decor. Great rooms, great views. Taxis and subway will keep you connected to the "life of NYC", there is a small amusement area not far away with some shops and movies, across from AMEX World Headquarters and behind Embassy Suites.

Times Square, well - noise, people, tourists, DisneyLand of the city, but close to "all the nightlife, but taxis subway take you Chelsea and Christ St area.

FourPoints W25th - not your typical Four Points, modern boutique hotel. SMALL ROOMS - try to get deluxe room, but still small by even NYC standards.

Guest EXPAT

My favorite NYC hotel is the W in Union Square. I think it is a great location and very quiet. But it is always the most expensive of the W's in NYC.

I'm also not staying 10 days at the 4 points either. I'm staying with a friend most of the time, but just a few nights at the hotel. I agree, it's hard to stay in one place that long unless it's really a nice place. . .

• Members

Well even for an 8 night stay I am going to bounce it around.

I love Starwood.Their Cash and point option reall is a wonderful thing sometimes!

I am still hoping for a sale/promo however.

and Expat it looks like I will be at the "Chelsea"(25th street)4pts on my last night since I have do get the LIRR to JFK early in the AM.BTW-If you have not stayed there before the Whole Foods on 8th(or is it 7th-it is a half block from the hotel)Is a great option for breakfast/snacks.VERY nice eye candy :D

Guest StuCotts

Never having stayed in a NYC hotel, I can't offer an opinion. If I were looking for a hotel to stay in, the only one of the many hundreds I'd be really curious to try is the Chelsea Hotel on 23rd St. It's been there for a long time, and has had its ups and downs over its lifetime. I couldn't even say how good or bad a hotel it is now. I do know that it's neither conventional nor fashionable, and has character and history enough for many hotels, not to mention great architecture that I always stop and admire when I walk by it. Works for me.

Stu, never stayed in the Chelsea but share your interest in doing so.

First read of it years ago in Arthur Clarke's The Lost Worlds of 2001, mentioning he lived there while writing "2001" with Kubrick. He told of being able to go down to the bar and have a drink with such as William Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg when in need of inspiration.

Fascinating blog here, giving inside views of the travails wrought for long-term artiste-type residents by the hotel's change of ownership in recent years, and consequent efforts to raise rates and force out said low-paying long-term guests:

http://legends.typepad.com/

Guest StuCotts
Stu, never stayed in the Chelsea but share your interest in doing so.

First read of it years ago in Arthur Clarke's The Lost Worlds of 2001, mentioning he lived there while writing "2001" with Kubrick. He told of being able to go down to the bar and have a drink with such as William Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg when in need of inspiration.

Fascinating blog here, giving inside views of the travails wrought for long-term artiste-type residents by the hotel's change of ownership in recent years, and consequent efforts to raise rates and force out said low-paying long-term guests:

http://legends.typepad.com/

It seems to me that mentions of the Chelsea appear passim throughout the last century's writings from and/or about NY.

The situation of those long-term residents isn't confined to that one place. Tenants who have occupied rental apartments long enough to have the advantage of affordable rent - old, pretty much by definition - are vulnerable to eviction as soon as the landlord finds a pretext that he can make stick. The more desirable the location, the greater the vulnerability. You've probably heard of what's happening at Carnegie Hall:

http://gothamist.com/2008/01/18/carnegie_artist.php

P.S. If you ever do stay at the Chelsea, for even just one night, I'd be really interested in any impressions you'd post, good or bad.