TotallyOz

Medical Insurance for those traveling Overseas

• Members

You mean you are not waiting for BO and the current Congress to make insurance available for every US citizen as well as any immigrants, legal or illegal, anywhere in the world? Wait, maybe the new insurance will save money by sending me to Thailand for treatment. Everything is still cheaper there and the medical practice on a par with the US, so everyone says. I would be among the first to volunteer for such a ground breaking idea.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

You may want to check what is offered by your credit card company or, if you have status as a frequent flier, your international airline.

I have an annual travel policy that applies worldwide and provides excellent coverage (with high limits) through my American Express card. It's a VERY reasonable cost but then I travel extensively.

I've had the AmEx policy for some years but previously I had a very similar policy through British Airways. Both were excellent when I had cause to claim, provided great medical attention and reimbursed me promptly.

Guest StuCotts

I assume we're talking about emergency care. Some countries' laws require that any and all such care be made available free of charge to anybody who needs it, even tourists who may be just passing through. Read up before you travel. For those who want to be on the safe side the AmEx plan is good.

As a recent visitor to one of the top hospitals in Thailand, let me tell you, the cost is reasonable and affordable. I wish all place had similar experiences. An example: 2 years ago, I got sea food poisoning and had to go to an emergency room and stayed overnight in Bangkok Pattaya hospital. I was given an IV, had a doctor check me every hour (not just a nurse), had a luxury suite with TV and minibar and balcony and was given medicine the next day to cure the rest of the sickness. The cost was under 200 for the entire stay, medicine, etc. I can't often even see a doctor in the USA for the same price. The meds were great and I had a great experience there.

I am more worried about something major going wrong and want a plan that would cover cancer or a heart attack, etc. The hospitals in Thailand are reasonable but I would be willing to pay for the guarantee.