AdamSmith

Unhappy 40th, Apollo 11

For whatever it might teach the scientists that they could apply elsewhere, I suppose the terraforming studies are worthwhile.

And away we go...

Climate engineering research gets green light

Hacking the planet to rein in humanity's effect on the climate has been given a scientific stamp of approval.

The umbrella body for meteorological scientists in the US is about to endorse research into geoengineering as part of a three-pronged approach to coping with climate change, alongside national policies to reduce emissions.

New Scientist has seen the final draft of the American Meteorological Society's carefully worded position paper on geoengineering. The AMS is the first major scientific body to officially endorse research into geoengineering.

The document states that "deliberately manipulating physical, chemical, or biological aspects of the Earth system" should be explored alongside the more conventional approaches to climate change. Conventional approaches means reducing emissions – "mitigation" in policy-speak – and adjusting to the unavoidable effect of climate change – known as "adaptation".

The paper states that "even aggressive mitigation of future emissions cannot avoid dangerous climate changes resulting from past emissions. Furthermore, it is unlikely that all of the expected climate-change impacts can be managed through adaptation. Thus, it is prudent to consider geoengineering's potential benefits, to understand its limitations, and to avoid ill-considered deployment".

Trials likely

Opponents of geoengineering may be reassured to find that the statement calls for studies into the social, ethical and legal implications of geoengineering solutions, and for methods to be developed in a transparent fashion.

A New Scientist special report on geoengineering earlier this year highlighted the need for such studies. Research, including some private studies, into geoengineering solutions is gathering pace and it's likely that small and eventually large-scale trials will soon be carried out.

Yet there are few, if any, international frameworks in place that can regulate attempts to engineer the climate, despite the fact that the impacts of large-scale geoengineering will be felt on a regional and possibly global scale.

"I think this is an important step towards developing an 'official' research programme on intentional climate intervention established in the United States," says Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution of Washington in Stanford, California, and a proponent of research into geoengineering.

"I think it is increasingly likely that we will see government funded research programs into ways to decrease the amount of climate change caused by increased greenhouse gas concentrations," he says.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1749...reen-light.html

Guest StuCotts
Well, since I'm not so inclined, we will just have to work this out between us. I suspect the principal problem I have with your humor is that I am cursed with the most literal minded brain imaginable. Understated deadpan tends to sail right past me unnoticed. For instance, I had to read over your last post 4 times before I realized it could be read as a sly jab at Lucky. Intended? Not intended? ARRG! Way too subtle. For a clod like me an occasional smilie would go a long way to cueing a recognition of the humor. ^_^

As to putting a bullet through your head, see my last post to AdamSmith. Years ago I gave away my last pistol (.357 four shot derringer style), to avoid just such choices. ;)

Where there's a will to keep the dudgeon low, there's a way. You're not the first to point out that my humor would be more effective if it were recognizable. As to using emoticons, I've tried and failed. To my eyes, my use looked fake, forced and ineffective. Nobody's perfect.

I didn't mean the crack about shooting literally. It's a reference to "Barbara Frietchie", a Whittier piece that I was coerced into memorizing stretches of in grammar school. The relevant passage is below. The first line is applicable to lots of situatiions, but I like the second one more.

" 'Shoot if you must this old grey head, but spare your country's flag,' she said.

'Who harms a hair of this woman's head will die like a dog, march on,' he said."

You're not the first to point out that my humor would be more effective if it were recognizable.

It would also be duller. Having to watch for the footpath suddenly becoming littered with sharp tacks enlivens the walking.

"Barbara Frietchie", a Whittier piece that I was coerced into memorizing stretches of in grammar school.

Wikipedia is invaluable:

On the last episode of I Love Lucy, the last line is "Shoot, if you must, this old red head!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Fritchie

The first line is applicable to lots of situatiions, but I like the second one more.

" 'Shoot if you must this old grey head, but spare your country's flag,' she said.

'Who harms a hair of this woman's head will die like a dog, march on,' he said."

Also from Wikipedia:

The comedian Mark Russell once parodied her quotation as "You can do anything you want with this flag, but don't mess up my hair!"

Herself:

Barbara_Fritchie.jpg

Her poet-immortalizer (did everyone in the 19th century bear uncanny resemblance to one another?):

John_Greenleaf_Whittier.jpg

• Members

AS-

RE: Study about green house effects

Do you regard this to be a study with a foregone conclusion whereby the participants are only seeking justification for their research/expenditure of tax dollars?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
Where there's a will to keep the dudgeon low, there's a way. You're not the first to point out that my humor would be more effective if it were recognizable. As to using emoticons, I've tried and failed. To my eyes, my use looked fake, forced and ineffective. Nobody's perfect.

I didn't mean the crack about shooting literally. It's a reference to "Barbara Frietchie", a Whittier piece that I was coerced into memorizing stretches of in grammar school. The relevant passage is below. The first line is applicable to lots of situatiions, but I like the second one more.

No dudgeon here, low or high, just frustration at my own blindness to the steel behind the cape. Back in the day I had another friend with a flair for deadpan. When he was in top form, the SOB could string me along for hours. These last few posts have brought him back to mind, and the mental tricks I eventually learned to parse out his humor are starting to come back to me. Oh well, I suppose every good comedy needs a straight man. On reflection, I agree smilies don't suit your style at all & would spoil the effect.

As to Ms Frietchie, Old Stonewall was way too scary a son of a bitch to cross openly, but had I been sore-footing it along with that "famished Rebel horde," I would have made time to take a dump in her front yard.

• Members

Thought you guys might be interested in how the engineering types are catching up with the SF writers. This type technology would make manned space exploration a lot more feasible, maybe even out as far as Jupitor orbit. Mars in 39 days!

ions on steroids