Guest StuCotts

Phishing

Guest StuCotts

Not for the first time, I have an e-mail amid my spam that assures me I've won $1 million US, provided I supply certain personal information. It comes from an outfit in Bangkok calling itself variously Yahoo International Lottery or Yahoo Internet Lottery. Usually I delete and move on. But today I feel that this one should be forwarded:

- to Yahoo for the use that's being made of their name, but I can't find an e-mail address for Yahoo, or

- to some agency that pursues frauds of this kind, but I don't know what agency that would be.

Any suggestions?[

Any suggestions?[

Delete and forget. Fraud is long; life is short.

Not to be flip, but my bank told me just that after such a scammer went so far as to send me a check for $4500. It was supposed to be payment for a $900 vacation rental of an apartment I own; after I got the check in the excess amount, of course there followed his email request to rebate him the $3600 difference, as his "travel agent had made a mistake in the amount," etc. He (whoever he really was) sent the check via UPS, not USPS, to avoid federal mail-fraud liability. On my bank's advice, I shredded the check and wasted no more of my mortal span on it.

• Members
Not for the first time, I have an e-mail amid my spam that assures me I've won $1 million US, provided I supply certain personal information. It comes from an outfit in Bangkok calling itself variously Yahoo International Lottery or Yahoo Internet Lottery. Usually I delete and move on. But today I feel that this one should be forwarded:

- to Yahoo for the use that's being made of their name, but I can't find an e-mail address for Yahoo, or

- to some agency that pursues frauds of this kind, but I don't know what agency that would be.

Any suggestions?[

You might try abuse@yahoo.com. The abuse@... seems to be a widely used generic address for complaint reporting.