Guest StuCotts

The generation gap rears its gay head

• Members

When I was young, I was pretty much the same way. When a 45 year old Asian hunk wanted to have sex with me, I was appalled. He was so old! I used to wonder where the men over 40 went because they certainly didn't go to the bars I went to. Now I know that their ears couldn't take the music, much as mine can't now. Plus I can't stay up that late.

Isn't it to be expected that each generation has to learn for itself? Would we really want today's youth to be carbon copy's of us?

On a similar subject, here's a look at what could be OUR future- gay men in nursing homes, with liberation being just a memory:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,3287548.story

Guest StuCotts
When I was young, I was pretty much the same way. When a 45 year old Asian hunk wanted to have sex with me, I was appalled. He was so old! I used to wonder where the men over 40 went because they certainly didn't go to the bars I went to. Now I know that their ears couldn't take the music, much as mine can't now. Plus I can't stay up that late.

Isn't it to be expected that each generation has to learn for itself? Would we really want today's youth to be carbon copy's of us?

On a similar subject, here's a look at what could be OUR future- gay men in nursing homes, with liberation being just a memory:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,3287548.story

A real ray of sunshine, that article is. In its favor, it doesn't say anything unexpected. I think that anybody from a more recent generation who ends up in a nursing home or similar facility has about the same thing to look forward to, even though the place would presumably be populated in some part by people raised in a more tolerant age to be more tolerant. When you're a minority in a closed environment, it's easy, not to say unavoidable, to fall to the bottom of the pecking order.

That brings up the thought of old folks' facilities that would cater to gays. I can think of as many reasons why they wouldn't work as reasons why they would, but who knows?

I'm off this subject. It's just too bleak for a group called gay. I enjoin anybody who has in mind a frivolous topic for a thread to activate it.

• Members

"I'm off this subject. It's just too bleak for a group called gay. I enjoin anybody who has in mind a frivolous topic for a thread to activate it."

Well, gosh, just who started this bleak topic? And since when did we shy away from difficult subjects? Maybe I'll start a thread on train overpasses- that'll get this site hopping!

Guest StuCotts
"I'm off this subject. It's just too bleak for a group called gay. I enjoin anybody who has in mind a frivolous topic for a thread to activate it."

Well, gosh, just who started this bleak topic? And since when did we shy away from difficult subjects? Maybe I'll start a thread on train overpasses- that'll get this site hopping!

Just as it was my thread to initiate, it's my thread to bow out of if I choose. I have no idea why that should provoke your geyser of splutter, and no interest in finding out.

Guest StuCotts
Geez, grumpy, you want frivolous, I give you frivolous, and you are still not happy.

You intended that to be humorous? Apologies for my pardonable error.

Guest BewareofNick

My socializing is jut the opposite. I rarely hang out with men my own age. Some of you know that I have a 25 yo son who is gay (and doing much better!). I regularly hang out with him and his friends. Some of his friends have become sons to me as well. I also have a 26 yo nephew who is gay ( and about to be a parent thanks to his lesbian friend who agreed to carry a child for him) and he and I are also the best of friends. In fact, he's giving the baby my name as his middle name (if its a boy) as I have been more of a father to him than his own dad.

Occasionally, I have ended up dating or hooking up with his friends, which is cool as well. Initially, there is that "who the hell is this old guy" stuff, but once they get to know me, they generally are pretty cool, especially when they see that I am not hitting on them (unless they show interest first!).

I had a date this past weekend with a 32 yo and I have a regular hookup with a hot 31 yo in Atlanta. I often find men my age too old for me. Go figure.