TotallyOz

Aids Lifecycle 2008

From May 31-June 6, 2009, I'm bicycling in AIDS/LifeCycle. It's a 7-day, 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to make a world of difference in the lives of people living with HIV and AIDS.

I hope to raise at least 10k dollars this year and I hope that you are able to help. The LA Gay and Lesbian Community Center does a great deal of wonderful work in the area and for those with HIV. Please help them to continue their task.

Help me support the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center by giving what you can.

Totally Oz

http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/papabear

• Members
From May 31-June 6, 2009, I'm bicycling in AIDS/LifeCycle. It's a 7-day, 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to make a world of difference in the lives of people living with HIV and AIDS.

I hope to raise at least 10k dollars this year and I hope that you are able to help. The LA Gay and Lesbian Community Center does a great deal of wonderful work in the area and for those with HIV. Please help them to continue their task.

Help me support the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center by giving what you can.

Totally Oz

http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/papabear

Oz:

I am happy both that you have gotten into such great shape and that you have this newfound passion, and that you are using it for this worthy cause.

I'm in. Congratulations.

Guest Barr1965

Four and half weeks and counting before ALC. Anyone interested in volunteering for Opening Ceremonies in SF or Closing Ceremonies in LA go to Aidslifecycle.org to find out more information.

Guest Barr1965

May 31 is fast approaching. As you know that is when AIDS Ride begins. In the pass few weeks I have been doing some volunteer work for ALC riders training. During these times I have met some people and in some of our conversation the topic of fund raising has been discussed. A lot of the riders are not meeting their goals. It is not too late to donate any amount for this good cause. Also, a fellow roadie of mine from last year has decided to ride this year. Unfortunately he is the one who is also having a hard time raising funds. He is from SF and his ALC website is

http://www.tofighthiv.org/site/TR/AIDSLIFE...&fr_id=1070 ... his name is Sunny Babbar.

And to TO, Steven D, David S/F and Andrew D we will see you guys on the ride. I will be serving you guys lunch everyday :D

And to TO, Steven D, David S/F and Andrew D we will see you guys on the ride. I will be serving you guys lunch everyday :D

Can't wait to see you on the ride. Lunch ey? Can I get an order in early so it is prepared to my liking? ^_^

Guest StevenDraker

Barr1965,

Thanks for posting this information.

I'm very grateful to all my supporters and friends for this year's Ride that I reached the minimum of $3000 required by the SFAF. Last year I was able to raise over $8000. This year fundraising was harder vue the financial meltdown. In addition the organizers decided to raise the minimum amount in order to participate from $2500 to $3000. In regard of the whole economic situation in the US and in the world, all charities are suffering. It's unfortunate that people affected with HIV and AIDS are being deprived from the needed funds.

I'll make sure to make a small donation for your friend. Spread the word! The deadline (May 30th) is fast approaching ...

Hugs to you and your friend,

Steven ~

PS: Looking forward to meeting also TotallyOz on the Ride (how's your fundraising and training progressing, Oz?)

I love that trike you've got ^_^

Barr1965,

PS: Looking forward to meeting also TotallyOz on the Ride (how's your fundraising and training progressing, Oz?)

I love that trike you've got ^_^

Fund raising is very slow. But, the training has been going great. I did several weeks in LA and am now in Nevada and Utah and biking about 30 miles a day. I did one 50 mile day last week and it was a killer. I am sure the 100 mile days are going to be a swift kick in the ass. Last week I did a nice 30 mile ride in 100 degree weather. So, I am looking forward to the milder climate of California, especially at the beginning near SF. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

My friends tell me I should be skinny as hell with all this riding. ^_^ LOL What I fail to mention is that I also eat like your average friendly bear. ^_^

Guest StevenDraker
Can't wait to see you on the ride. Lunch ey? Can I get an order in early so it is prepared to my liking? ^_^

Can we have a double portions, Barr? :D ... I'm always getting hungry when I ride for 8 hours a day ... ^_^

Guest Barr1965
Can we have a double portions, Barr? :D ... I'm always getting hungry when I ride for 8 hours a day ... ^_^

Early order for TO and double portion for you, SD.... you got it . Just remember you cannot touch anything unwrap, it has to be handed to you :D

Early order for TO and double portion for you, SD.... you got it . Just remember you cannot touch anything unwrap, it has to be handed to you :D

Sounds good to me! The time is getting close. I hope you guys have your plans for hotels before the ride begins

BTW: I am in LA and need a BIG MAN's Red Dress for Red Dress Day. My old one is in storage. Any suggestions?

Guest Barr1965
Sounds good to me! The time is getting close. I hope you guys have your plans for hotels before the ride begins

BTW: I am in LA and need a BIG MAN's Red Dress for Red Dress Day. My old one is in storage. Any suggestions?

Hotels and princess hotels (day 2,4,6) are already in place. Just waiting for the day.

Try ROSS department store and don't forget red spike high heels :D as for my red dress day, I am only wearing a red apron :lol: ... I wonder what SD will be wearing ;)

Had a bit of a foot issue and was not able to run the LA Marathon after months of training. Plus, a big bear doesn't really fit in well with all those 2 hour marathon guys and I was planning on running with them today. ^_^

But, instead, I pulled out my bike and biked the 26 miles with 20,000 other bikers. There were bikes of all colors, shapes and sizes. From tandems to trick bikes to bikes with dogs in them to young kid riding with families. My favorite bike was this lady with her 2 parrots on her handlebar. She was a bit unique, but I am sure she looked at me and said, "damm, I didn't know they let grizzly bears on bikes. How cool!" and then went back to conversing with her two children on the handlebars. ;)

Guest StevenDraker
Try ROSS department store and don't forget red spike high heels :D as for my red dress day, I am only wearing a red apron :lol: ... I wonder what SD will be wearing ;)

BARR, I was told I don't look good in 'drag', so no red dress for me this year, but I've got a very nice red top and a few new sexy shorts ... you'll see them soon.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RIDE !

D-3

• Members

I'm confused. The event is billed as benefiting people with AIDS, yet the only two beneficiaries are the SF AIDS Foundation and the LA Gay & Lesbian Community Center. We know that the AIDS Foundation is for people with AIDS, but the LA Center serves a multitude of purposes, so there is no way set as to how that money is to be used for people with AIDS.

Years ago the AIDS bike event was highly criticized for keeping most of the money raised in the promoter's hands. Yet I scoured the AIDS Life Cycle website, and cannot find anywhere that says how the money is to be divided. With fundraising down this year, does that mean the promoters cut their profits, or do they cut the money that goes to the two agencies and maintain their profit level?

• Members

I did find this info, excerpted from a blogger on the Daily Kos:

"Events like this are not inexpensive to produce. It costs approximately $750 per participant to produce AIDS/LifeCycle. During the AIDS Ride era, there were frequent complaints that the event was not making good use of funds raised, and that an excessive amount of money was going to pay the producer of the event and cover overhead. Since AIDS/LifeCycle is produced by the two beneficiaries, they are very careful as to how money is spent. No expense is spared to make the ride safe and enjoyable for participants, but no dollar is spent if a cost can be covered by in-kind donations."

I'm glad to know that, and I do support the riders, but it does not seem a cost effective way to raise money for AIDS, nor is it clear how much of that money actually ends up directly helping someone with AIDS. Ultimately it may be a fun event, calling attention to the issue, but serving a fairly limited purpose.

Guest StevenDraker

We're slowly, but firmly making our way from S.F. to L.A.

I finally met the powerful Totally Oz in the early morning on Day 1 (sorry Oz, I was still asleep at 4:30 AM) B)

Yesterday, DAY 2 (from Santa Cruz to King City), was our longest ride - 107 miles ... a piece of cake ^_^

Today, DAY 3 (from King City to Paso Robles), we had some hills, then some challenge on Highway 101 with bumps and trucks passing just a few inches from us and to top it up some rain at the end of the Ride.

I'm looking forward to DAY 5 (Red dress day) to see some interesting outfits and have fun ... :D

Spirits are up, but after 250 miles from S.F. I can feel my leg muscles.

300 miles to go to Los Angeles ...

Guest StevenDraker

Just a quick update from Aids Life Cycle 8.

Today, DAY 5 was the traditional "Red Dress Day" when all cyclist and roadies had to wear a red dress. It was a fun day but also one of the most difficult rides. We had several very steep hills and the route has changed from last year's itinerary. I'm looking forward to tomorrow (DAY 6 from Lompoc to Ventura Beach) when we pass thru Santa Barbara with some spectacular ocean views and the traditional Ice Cream Garden Party ... ^_^

Cheers, Steven ~

Guest Barr1965

ALC 2009 is now over and ALC 2010 is registering now. Even though our economy sucks, ALC raised $10.5 million. Thanks for all those who contributed and supported ALC

Special thanks to OZ, David S/F, Andrew D, and Steven Drake. Go Riders and it was fun seeing you guys all week long. Hope we can do it again next year.

The 2009 ride is over and I will say that I had a great time. The ride into LA was awesome. It is great to turn around over Malibu and see the LA skyline.

Barr was at lunch each day serving a smile and a friendly welcome. I got to meet DavidSF for the first time and he seemed like a sweetheart.

On the first day I met Steven Draker and we ran into each other several times and I had several conversations with him. I can see why so many are enamored with this sexy guy. What a wonderful man. He was alway smiling and upbeat and full of life. Even after sitting on a bike for many hours his smile was shared with everyone.

People that do these rides do so for the community. In Thailand, the boys would say that they "have a good heart." This ride is always filled with some of the most amazing people. While my body is a bit beaten and my muscles are a bit sore, I'm sure I'll be doing the ride again in the future.

Thanks for Barr, David and Steven for the friendly smiles and nice chats.

Guest StevenDraker
On the first day I met Steven Draker and we ran into each other several times and I had several conversations with him. I can see why so many are enamored with this sexy guy. What a wonderful man. He was alway smiling and upbeat and full of life. Even after sitting on a bike for many hours his smile was shared with everyone.

Thank you, Oz, for the nice words. It was very nice meeting you and chatting with you as well.

Also I wanted to congratulate you on a "job" well done ! Pedaling 545 miles demands a lot of determination and will power !

Cheers, Steven ~